Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   What do you eat? Where do you get it? Grocery budget is killing me! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227730)

ittybittycoconuts 06-15-2011 12:28 AM

What do you eat? Where do you get it? Grocery budget is killing me!

HI mamas help me out here! The last 2 months my grocery budget has been hovering in the 700-800 range reguardless of what I do! I originally thought it was because I was restocking basics from our move. Ive tried doing the farmers markets but the prices dont seem much better than store prices, Ive weighed my stuff at home just for fun and no, not really better and I hate how no one marks their prices!!! Am I going to the wrong one??? Ive been going to the Peoples Open markets which are advertised as regulated to be lower cost. I have a costco membership, buy on sale and do everything the usual "right" way.

We dont go through alot of milk or dairy products but fresh fruit is a must.

corinne76 06-23-2011 01:15 AM

Re: What do you eat? Where do you get it? Grocery budget is killing me!

I just saw a lady at the new supercenter WM with her coupon binder. I was like :bowdown:
but seriously, it's HARD to save. We recently got WIC so that helps a ton. I usually shop at Times. I do frozen chicken thighs at Sams. Comes out to like $2.29/lb. If its cheaper in any of the ads I'll get at the market but if not I stick to Sams. I also get ground turkey from Sams.
I rarely buy anything that isn't on sale. I shop Longs sales and the markets.

Do you subscribe to Penny Pinching in Paradise newsletter?

corinne76 06-23-2011 01:16 AM

what open market are you going to?
if you can deal wiht the crowds, chinatown is cheap too.

ittybittycoconuts 06-23-2011 03:05 AM

Im down with chinatown! I always like an adventure but I just dont really know where to go there and I hate paying for parking and wandering aimlessly with kids.

Ive been to the Haleiwa market, Peoples open market in a few locations found out they base their prices on 30% off the grocery store prices but didnt find that to be true at all, waikiki farmers market but I havent made it to the Kcc one yet. Im going to try this saturday but it seems like it may be more of a tourist draw so Id imagine the prices would be higher.

Costco has frozen leg and thigh bags for $11 for 10lbs. and the bs breats 10/$20. I remember you saying you dont have costco though.

I FINALLY got everyone gone no more visitors until Sept. :phew: so whenever you want to get together for a playdate...

corinne76 06-23-2011 01:21 PM

hmmmm. maybe we should get costco. I just renewed my sams tho. its just so convenivent cause I normally have to go to walmart anyway.
I just went on tues and learned they dont take visa. WTH? and I only brought one card with me in my pocket. I have to go back cause I need ground turkey and chicken.

there's a farmers market in salt lake on satudays at this park. I've never went but I always drive by it. I want to, we're normally on our way home from somewhere and I'm trying to get the tired kiddies home.

corinne76 06-24-2011 12:50 AM

ok wait, 700-800 a month? where are you shopping? how many in your family again?

Have you gone to the Keeaumoku WAlmart? WM takes most coupons so I might start trying to buy more things there. They have fresh fruits now too

ittybittycoconuts 06-24-2011 02:40 AM

Theres 4 of us, me DH and 8yo that eats like a man and my DD who lives off mostly fruit and yogurt. Im planning on heading to that WM to check it out. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Im really spending 150-200 per week. I think my problem is the veggies, fruits and meats. I dont buy anything unless its on sale and I have no issues buying marked down meats and throwing it in the freezer. Ive discovered the Loves bread outlet which still isnt that thrilling but waaaay better than grocery store prices if I dont need the costco size whatever. I do the bulk of my shopping at costco and fill in at Times in early morning when they do their markdowns(I have to drive by it anyway) or whoever has what I want on sale. Ive been doing the safeway pricematch every week but not everything is included in that. We try to do fish once a week at least.

Checked out the Kokua Co-op on king st it seemed pretty pricy on produce still. I was happy about the bulk bins and spices I love spice bins! and the pb grinder.

Today I ran into times and grabbed some 2/$1 water chestnuts to put up for later use, grapes, nectarines, papayas, bagged salad, juice and milk everything but the milk was on good sale and I still spent $27. On tuesday when the sale ads come if I dont like the fruit on ad for the next week I'll go grab some more of this weeks sale stuff

kikitree 06-25-2011 02:10 PM

Chinatown is cheaper but after watching the footage of rats running wild in the stores at night, IDK...

Have you thought about doing CSA? You don't get to pick and choose but if you are okay with that, it can be up to 50% off retail if not more.

ittybittycoconuts 06-26-2011 12:23 AM

Hmmm thats not good. Im pretty open but do draw the line, still gonna go check it out anyway. I enjoy traumatizing my kids with pig heads and such.

I did a CSA in CA and got mostly stuff we wouldnt use like tons of random greens but Im open to try again. Anyone you recommend?

I checked out the downtown Walmart, wow! They have really expanded the food area and the prices are pretty good! I can see that being a midnight shopping trip though.

ittybittycoconuts 06-27-2011 12:50 AM

Swapmeet by pearlridge!!! Their stuff looked 10x better than the POM stuff and the prices were so reasonable! Im excited!!!