Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   UGH :***( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1228205)

mickysmama 06-15-2011 08:01 PM

UGH :***(

Hi mamas,

So we just moved into a house from a mobile home :thumbsup: sad news is i have NO expierence with well water. We haven't been able to get our water softner running yet so my first time using my washing machine every white prefold and white cover I owned turned orange :((((( it is especially worse where there was poopies on the prefolds.

I want to just cry. i spent $42 on prefolds they were perfectly white :( and it seems that when I do a vinegar rinse to get the stinkies out (once a month) it turns the orange worse and if it didn't have orange on it it seems the vinegar made the orange on it.

Can I bleach the prefolds and covers will it get the orange out???

what can i do to prevent this until our softner gets hooked up.

oh mamas im so sad :( :cry:

Soph's Mom 06-15-2011 08:04 PM

Yep bleach helps. I had this problem but it was long before dipes. I went to the extent of washing whites at a laundry mat and drying them at home... It was the only way to really keep the smell and stains away.

Marbie 06-15-2011 08:06 PM

Bleach should be fine on prefolds. They are pretty sturdy!

NewCDerInCO 06-15-2011 08:12 PM

Re: UGH :***(

I have been told you should absolutely NOT use vinegar in hard water! Try calgon.

mariamommy 06-15-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCDerInCO (Post 13156531)
I have been told you should absolutely NOT use vinegar in hard water! Try calgon.

ditto!

mickysmama 06-15-2011 08:26 PM

well then maybe thats the cause of horrible ugly stains :(

karabeth05 06-15-2011 08:46 PM

orange staining sounds like iron in your water...calgon should help soften the water to make the detergent wash cleaner, but idk about getting the iron out. maybe a whole house filter? we installed one ourselves (whirlpool brand we found at lowe's, i think) because we have a lot of crud in our water and it's made a huge difference in the water quality.

mommacissy 06-16-2011 12:53 PM

I have orange whites too...:-( I haven't found any way around it. Our water is awful and our softener doesn't work either. Bleach (chlorine) makes it worse. Oxygen bleach keeps the stains away for longer, but eventually everything white becomes orangish...

ross1622 06-16-2011 12:59 PM

this just happened to me!!! :cry: we did however just get our water softener installed!! hooray!! but i'm still left with some orange colored diapers. so i asked around and looked online and i've been told that sunning them is supposed to help. make a half water half lemon juice mixture and spray them down good and leave them out in the sun for awhile. it's raining today so i cannot do it, but i will be trying tomorrow!!

THBVsMama 06-16-2011 01:06 PM

:hugs: I wish I had some advice, but I have no experience with this.