Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pregnant before PPAF?? *Update* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12284)

Quiverfillin 06-07-2006 07:07 AM

Pregnant before PPAF?? *Update*

How often does this really happen?? I know everyone says not to use breastfeeding as birth control because you can get pregnant without ever having a period, but honestly, how often does that really happen?

I ask because, well, um... I'm still breastfeeding, the baby is 11 months old today, I haven't had PPAF yet, but I'm having a few questionable symptoms and had a dream that I got a BFP. So now I'm wondering. Am I just goin' crazy? :lostit:

And just for reference...we weren't using BF as BC and would be happy with another baby, just was expecting AF first. I mean, it took 2 years to get pregnant last time!:laugh:

Scroll down for the results...

yellowcampcat 06-07-2006 07:13 AM

Re: Pregnant before PPAF??

I think it depends on your body. I didn't get my ppaf until my dd was 12mo and I was down to nursing once a day. I have several friends, though, who got pregnant while still nursing and never had a period.

Kimmomy2dom 06-07-2006 07:16 AM

Yeah, I've heard a lot about it. I don't know that it's been any close personal friends, but second-hand stories and such. My Dr. liked to remind me when he did my 6 week pp check, LOL.
Have you tested? I would just test if you're at all concerned. Get one of those cheapo ones and try it. I've wasted many a pg test on negatives, so even if you aren't sure I'd do it anyway. Good luck!

GrowingUpMad 06-07-2006 07:20 AM

My mom got pregnant that way, as did my aunt and cousin.

Quiverfillin 06-07-2006 07:25 AM

Darn. I was hoping it was one of those "urban legends". :laugh: Guess I'll have to break down and buy a test.

hfitz5051 06-07-2006 07:35 AM

Test. Test. Test! lol

Radish4ever 06-07-2006 07:36 AM

I totally forget where I read this, but I was searching for this info when DD was about 7 months old to see what my chances were of conceiving (to see if using condoms would really be worth it) and I came across a site that said you've only got about a 5% chance of actually ovulating before having a PPAF

negrapy 06-07-2006 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radish4ever
I totally forget where I read this, but I was searching for this info when DD was about 7 months old to see what my chances were of conceiving (to see if using condoms would really be worth it) and I came across a site that said you've only got about a 5% chance of actually ovulating before having a PPAF

The WHO and Leche League publish using nursing as birth control. Its about as effect as a condom w/out spermicide if you can answer yes to 4 questions

1. your baby is under 6 months old
2.you nurse atleast every three hours during the day and at least one in a 6 hr period at night
3. your baby is not eating other types of food
4. ???? :banghead: I can't remember

maybe someone else knows, I think it might have been something about not using a pacifers... no
I remember !

4. you haven't had a period yet.

I'm pretty sure this is right (don't use for bc unless you check it out yourself)
we used it until your started sleeping through the night
i don't think i'm pregnant :lostit:

hfitz5051 06-07-2006 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radish4ever

That may be true, but part of your pp bleeding can acutally be your first ppaf. Like say your pp bleeding lasts 6 weeks, that last week may have been AF.

Blackbirdlane 06-07-2006 07:43 AM

my sister got preggo with her second like that. she was ebf her 6 month old and not using anything else for bc and got preggo when her dd was 6 months old. She didn't have a ppaf either so she had to have an ultrasound done for due dates. turned out she was 10 weeks preg. farther along than she had thought.