Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   help with my wool (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1228497)

grizzardmommy 06-16-2011 11:32 AM

help with my wool

Ok last night was night #2 in my gbg wool. This morning ds jammies were wet not soakedd but wet. The wool didn't feel wet. Any ideas. Im a complete wool newbie so all help is apppreciated.

sarahannecloud9 06-16-2011 12:20 PM

Re: help with my wool

Just sounds like they arn't quite lanolized enough. Is the fit good?

boysniris 06-16-2011 12:40 PM

What about the diaper, was is totally soaked? Wool can wick moisture once the diaper is fully saturated. Wool can hold a bit of wetness (I think I've ready ~30% by weight), but only if you lanolize lightly. I think you need to add some absorbency to the diaper.

ETA --> since you mentioned that the wool didn't feel wet, that suggests to me that it did wick rather than absorb. Have you lanolized, how much and what did you use?

grizzardmommy 06-16-2011 01:00 PM

The diaper was wet. It came lanolized but I wouldn't be shocked if it needed more. She sent me a free spray lanolin but I have no clue what im doing. Also the fit seems to be really good.

craftinmama 06-16-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzardmommy (Post 13161190)
The diaper was wet. It came lanolized but I wouldn't be shocked if it needed more. She sent me a free spray lanolin but I have no clue what im doing. Also the fit seems to be really good.

I would give it a good spray down then (in the "wet zones") and try again.

boysniris 06-16-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzardmommy (Post 13161190)

Is the cover thick enough for overnight? Some wool is thinner and really not appropriate for nights. Do try the extra lanolin (I've never used the spray, personally) and try adding a doubler to the diaper. Good luck!

grizzardmommy 06-16-2011 02:58 PM

Do I spray the inside too?

r8chel 06-16-2011 03:18 PM

Yes, spray inside and out. I don't normally use spray as I prefer to soak once every few months in a lanolin bath :thumbsup: I think it just does a better/more thorough job.

Also, I just want to say that you don't HAVE to lanolize. I know a few mamas who are allergic to lanolin and use their wool as is. They wash with straight up baby shampoo. Now the lanolin helps to make the wool WATERPROOF. Think of it like a grease or oil.

Yes, wool can absorb up to 35% it's weight in moisture before it leaks. If too much lanolin is used it will just repell all residual wetness and not absorb at all, but hey, that takes a LOT of lanolin!

From the sounds of it, my guess would be that you just need a bit more absorbency and an extra bit of lanonlin throughout the wetzone :thumbsup:

Hope this helps!

~Rachel

grizzardmommy 06-16-2011 05:11 PM

Thanks for the help. I've sprayed it fown an will try something a lil different tonight