Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jam/Jelly Recipes(including freezer jams) What's your fave?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230020)

wyldcat 06-19-2011 08:23 AM

Jam/Jelly Recipes(including freezer jams) What's your fave??

My family's absolute favorite is strawberry with Banana Butter a very close second

Here is the banana Butter Recipe(No it is not a butter butter)

3 cups thoroughly mashed bananas (around 10-12ish)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup minced maraschino cherry
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 (6 ounce) bottle liquid pectin

Directions:

1) Measure 3 cups mashed bananas into a large saucepan.
2) Add the lemon juice, cherries and sugar, mixing well.
3) Bring to a rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4) Remove from heat and stir in the pectin.
5) Mix well.
6) Ladle into clean, hot sterile jars and seal.
7) Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pints.

jbug_4 06-20-2011 11:24 AM

Re: Jam/Jelly Recipes(including freezer jams) What's your fave??

Have you tried this using splenda? or any other sugar subs? Maybe honey and fruit juice? Sounds really good, just don't like using that much sugar. After processed will this keep for a year like regular jellies or jams? Pretty new to canning and this is the first recipe I have come across that uses bananas. I'll have to keep my eye out for bananas on sale.

zandj 06-20-2011 01:03 PM

mama - sugar is so much better for you than splenda :goodvibes:

subbing, on the look out for freezer jam recipes, I have 6lbs of blueberries in the fridge!

wyldcat 06-20-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4 (Post 13187104)
Have you tried this using splenda? or any other sugar subs? Maybe honey and fruit juice? Sounds really good, just don't like using that much sugar. After processed will this keep for a year like regular jellies or jams? Pretty new to canning and this is the first recipe I have come across that uses bananas. I'll have to keep my eye out for bananas on sale.

Yes it will keep just like any other canned jam/jelly

jbug_4 06-20-2011 05:23 PM

We have diabetes in the family so sugar subs are generally better for our family. I'll have to play around with it. I just keep thinking how good this would be on warm toast with some Nutella.

veveland 06-21-2011 08:28 AM

I like peach jam and I use the Ball no sugar needed pectin. :thumbsup;

4littlenorskes 06-26-2011 09:39 AM

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...confitures.gif

anyone else?

jbug_4 06-26-2011 05:18 PM

Made some apple butter last week. Had to make mock apple cider for it- it wasn't until it was all processed that I realized that I made mock cider with grape juice instead of apple juice. It tastes slightly different, but we really liked it. I am pretty new to making jams/jelly though. Gonna try the banana one tomorrow.

mayasmom23 07-07-2011 06:33 AM

Strawberry-Pineapple Jam

4 cups prepared fruit (about 1 quart fully ripe strawberries
and 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice)
5-1/2 cups sugar
1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine
Boil jars on rack in large pot filled with water 10 minutes. Place flat lids in saucepan with water. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to fill. Drain well before filling.
Stem and thoroughly crush strawberries, 1 layer at a time. Measure 3 cups into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir pineapple with juice into strawberries in saucepot.
Measure sugar into separate bowl. (Scrape excess sugar from cup with spatula to level for exact measure.) Stir fruit pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter. Bring to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in all sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. *Invert jars 5 minutes, then turn upright. After jars are cool, check seals.
*Or follow water bath method recommended by USDA.
Makes about 7 cups or 7 (1-cup) jars.