Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Simple Meal Ideas for VERY Picky DH! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230792)

ahenson 06-20-2011 05:27 PM

Simple Meal Ideas for VERY Picky DH!

So DH is a very picky eater, although I have gotten him to open up to a lot over the past nearly seven years of marriage / twelve years together! I am going to be working at home for a while at the least, with two under two at home. I am trying to come up with recipes for main dishes that he likes that are also one or more of the following:

1. Healthy
2. Inexpensive
3. Easy to make ahead or freeze ahead

...that do not include:

Raw or cooked tomatoes (salsa or ketchup is okay, whatever, I know)
Italian seasoning or similar flavors
Almost any veggie except broccoli, "corn", peppers...he likes a few others but I would have to think about it more!

He loves most Asian food and just about anything highly processed and junky, lol. His mom rarely cooked (opposite of mine, who was a chef before being a SAHM) so he grew up eating out, eating grilled cheese on white bread, ramen, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. We almost never ate out and we had a from-scratch, home-cooked, sit-down-together-with-no-TV meal every night while I was growing up.

I have gotten him to start eating whole grain pasta as long as there is no Italian-spiced sauce (like he will eat it with a cheese sauce instead), whole grain bread, and skim milk, but that is about the extent of it!

I have about 20 lbs of chicken leg quarters in the freezer and a few lbs of ground beef. Any suggestions in the Asian realm that are easy would be great! TIA.

Amanda

silvermaille 06-20-2011 06:34 PM

Re: Simple Meal Ideas for VERY Picky DH!

Easy Asian meal adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe. I use boneless, skinless thighs but if you can boil the leg quarters and "pick the chicken" off you could do that. Slice chicken thin and fry in vegetable oil, remove and put on plate. Fry cole slaw mix in vegetable oil (with ****ake mushrooms if desired) until wilted a bit, add in chicken, Hoisin sauce (I like the garlic one), and, if you like a little bit of heat, hot chili paste. Serve in warm flour tortillas. It's super quick, super simple and super yummy for adults and kids alike.

You can also fry thin sliced beef with scallions (cut about an inch long) and add Sesame Ginger marinade. Serve over rice.

These are the Asian ones I can do off the top of my head. I'll see if there's something else I can think of for you.

Oops, just saw your think about the veggies. You can use broccoli slaw instead.

chello 06-20-2011 06:40 PM

this isn't Asian, but a favourite here that my dad (who is SUPER picky) likes:

enough frozen broccoli (and maybe potato chunks) to make a good layer in a 9x13 casserole dish. Mix together a can of mushroom soup and a spoon or two of light sour cream, and mix it in with the veggies until they're coated. Lay some pieces of chicken on top of the whole thing, bake at 400 for an hour. Easy and tasty! If you want you can grate cheese on top too.

ahenson 06-21-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermaille
Easy Asian meal adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe. I use boneless, skinless thighs but if you can boil the leg quarters and "pick the chicken" off you could do that. Slice chicken thin and fry in vegetable oil, remove and put on plate. Fry cole slaw mix in vegetable oil (with ****ake mushrooms if desired) until wilted a bit, add in chicken, Hoisin sauce (I like the garlic one), and, if you like a little bit of heat, hot chili paste. Serve in warm flour tortillas. It's super quick, super simple and super yummy for adults and kids alike.

You can also fry thin sliced beef with scallions (cut about an inch long) and add Sesame Ginger marinade. Serve over rice.

These are the Asian ones I can do off the top of my head. I'll see if there's something else I can think of for you.

Oops, just saw your think about the veggies. You can use broccoli slaw instead.

It took me a sec with the mushrooms since the forum censored the word! Thanks, mamas! Keep the ideas coming. :-)

purna079 06-21-2011 10:00 AM

Im making a pretty simle meal tonight. I plan on assembling it before nap, refridgerating it and then cooking when I get home at 6

Its about 6 eggs + 2 cups milk. Add some dijon mustard, salt.

Crumble old pieces of bread in a pyrex dish, add cooked leftover broccoli and scallions. Pour egg mixture over bread and top with cheddar cheese. I love it!

Mermother 06-21-2011 12:07 PM

We eat a LOT of curry.
Ours normally follow the pattern:
1.5 cups veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach, peas potatoes....)
1 lb protein (Chicken, beef or tofu)
1 can coconut milk (or coconut cream for a richer texture)
1 lg TBSP curry paste

Cook the meat until it's just under done, add the coconut milk and curry paste, mix well. Add veggies. Simmer until veggies are tender.
Serve over rice or noodles.

I've also had great luck making orange chicken and freezing it. I like to let my chicken/tofu marinate overnight. I also use orange juice instead of water to make it more orangey. It's also good with out the breading and frying.

ahenson 06-21-2011 11:59 PM

Those sound great! I will let you know how they turn out for DH!

SDRS 06-22-2011 04:49 AM

Does he like Mexican? How about beans?

ahenson 06-22-2011 10:27 AM

Yes, he likes Mexican food, mostly chips and salsa, but it can't be too hot because DS1 is only 21 months. He isn't very adventurous with flavors, so he pretty much likes fajitas, and tacos and burritos, but any other he wants HOT, like with lots of peppers -- and that usually doesn't agree with him later!

ittybittycoconuts 06-23-2011 06:10 PM

black bean enchiladas. saute onions and peppers, add black beans to heat you can add cumin or a little salsa or both to your filling and whatever else you want. Roll in tortillas(corn or flour corn are generally cheaper) top with enchilada sauce bake 350 30-45 min covered. uncover top with cheese and put back in until cheese is melted.

Chicken and dumplings is a good way to use chicken quarters. Chicken noodle soup or chicken and rice. You can pack alot of veggies in soups and they can be more like casseroles than soup if you make them hearty enough. Broccoli potato cheddar soup, puree cauliflower and shred carrots thin to hide in there. I always swirl some cheddar cheese on the top of the bowls to camo the carrots even further