Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Should I be worried? (poop question) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230856)

hippiemommie 06-20-2011 06:41 PM

Should I be worried? (poop question)

By this time of day, DS has normally pooped at least 5 good sized poopies. Today- nothing so far. He's still had plenty wet dipes, but no dirty ones. He doesn't seem to be in pain. His normal smiley self. But this is just really strange for him.

colin-mylilguy 06-20-2011 07:08 PM

Re: Should I be worried? (poop question)

How old is LO? EBF? Solids?

If he is EBF, its totally normal for the numbers of poopy diapers to go way down (even rapidly) and they can poop as little as 1 per 10 days (max) and this is normal. Breastmilk is so perfectly made that nearly every last drop can be utilized by baby, so most will be absorbed and leave very little to poop out. ;) This typically happens around 3-4 months but can happen a little sooner or later.

I'll see if I can find a good link for ya on kellymom.com. :goodvibes:

hippiemommie 06-20-2011 07:14 PM

Really?! wow! That makes sense though!

He is a little over 3 months and ebf. Maybe that's what's happening...

colin-mylilguy 06-20-2011 07:29 PM

I remember my little guy would poop 3x per day like clock work until he was about 3-4 months and then one day...nothing. The next day....nothing again. Third day, one little poop. And since then he has either pooped one small poop a day or every other.

Here is some info from kellymom.com

Dirty diapers: Expect 3-4+ stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often--this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is yellow and loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy. After 4 - 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal. - http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html - chart with explanation of normal number of poopy diapers. ;)

hippiemommie 06-20-2011 07:30 PM

thanks

It's so funny how becoming a mommy, you worry about someone else's poopy! :)

colin-mylilguy 06-20-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiemommie (Post 13190627)
thanks

It's so funny how becoming a mommy, you worry about someone else's poopy! :)

lol - totally! For awhile, I think I was a little obsessed. :lostit: I'm sure my Pedi was wondering why of all the things I could worry/obsess over, I picked his poop... lol

It sounds normal to me, but you could probably call your Pedi and ask if you are really concerned. As long as the next poop is soft and regular looking, I'd probably not be too worried. :goodvibes:

DevonP 06-20-2011 10:58 PM

I had a similar expereince. All of the sudden my LO stopped pooping numerous times a day at about 8-10 weeks. I read this is normal and the same info about how they can go up to 10 days and it's okay. I think that is in the Sears Baby Book. Funny, I just emailed a friend with a new baby and told her she had a reduction in pooping to look forward to. Why does no one tell you this? lol

mamastesh 06-20-2011 11:02 PM

I don't know why no one tells you this, but it happened to my lo too. Around 10 - 12 weeks I think. All of sudden one day no poop. EBF and just went from poop all day to once very 4-7 days. He was uncomfortable and gassy for a day when the poops first slowed down, but fine after that. Didn't start pooping everyday again until he started eating solids every day.

cherrycoke 06-21-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preemiemama (Post 13192003)
I don't know why no one tells you this, but it happened to my lo too. Around 10 - 12 weeks I think. All of sudden one day no poop. EBF and just went from poop all day to once very 4-7 days. He was uncomfortable and gassy for a day when the poops first slowed down, but fine after that. Didn't start pooping everyday again until he started eating solids every day.

Thanks for posting this. My LO's poops have started slowing down a little bit and is uncomfortable and gassy sometimes, I'm glad to find out it's related to something ;)

THBVsMama 06-21-2011 07:58 AM

My DD was always a daily pooper, but randomly there would be days where she would go a good 24-36 hours without going even once. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he has been wetting diapers in the meantime.