Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Would you get an extra free ultrasound? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230876)

revmommy 06-20-2011 07:14 PM

Would you get an extra free ultrasound?

I'm 10 weeks and a little with baby #6 but pg #7. Someone I met today works at a clinic that helps show moms there is life in utero and hoping to deter them from abortions. I'm not considering an abortion at all-I would love extra reassurance that baby is well. But I don't know if I should go get the extra ultrasound so I can see the heartbeat or not-because if something is not right I don't want to go through that with a virtual stranger. I've thought about a fetal monitor, but I am not a petite woman and the one I got from Walmart years ago never detected a heartbeat. At this point that wouls just make me worry. I don't know if a better one would work better or not. Wat would you do?

nikiahunt 06-20-2011 07:21 PM

Re: Would you get an extra free ultrasound?

Honestly, I was considering this same thing before I got medicaid and an u/s in about a week from today. I think its okay to go to the clinic to get one for free, but if you get medicaid and ask for a dating ultrasound from the doctor, you'll get one and it'll also be free. It'll be hard if something isn't right, whether you're with your current doctor or anyone really. I'm sure they'd be consoling if it happened that something was amiss, so I'd go anyway if I were you.
Just my honest opinion.

revmommy 06-20-2011 07:40 PM

It's not the cost that bothers me. I guess I feel like if something was wrong, I would want to know it from my midwife. I have a fantastic relationship with my midwife-really great. And yes, I would love some extra reassurance that all is well. Not sure if a fetal monitor that I could use at home would help calm mynheart or not. And I guess I don't want her to think I am going behind her back. Maybe I'll call her and see what she thinks?

JennTheMomma 06-20-2011 08:13 PM

Personally, no, I wouldn't get an extra ultrasound. If there was a medical reason for me to wonder or Midwife/OBGYN was wondering, then I would. But I've had one early loss and two healthy pregnancies so there wouldnt' be a reason for me to think that the pregnancy was in danger. For me I believe in as little intervention as possible in life, and extra uneeded ultrasounds are interventions for me.

trying4more 06-20-2011 10:10 PM

I would!

rainydaysunshine 06-21-2011 04:53 AM

The fetal monitors you get at places like walmart are not dopplers, they are microphones. Often you cannot hear your baby's heartbeat until 30 wks, or so, with them. Look on ebay for an inexpensive doppler, you can get one for about $100 and have it to reassure you through the whole pregnancy! At 10wks (11, by the time your doppler) you should be able to hear your LO's heartbeat with little problem.

ETA: I wouldn't have an U/S from one of those places, but only because I hate their politics, not because I am afraid of too many U/Ss or being w/ someone other than my MW.

Ten 06-21-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma (Post 13190922)
For me I believe in as little intervention as possible in life, and extra uneeded ultrasounds are interventions for me.

:yeahthat:

While ultrasounds are an important tool to have available in certain situations, I think they're overused. :2cents:

sisu 06-21-2011 12:19 PM

I would get one, if it will out your mind at ease a bit. Can you bring your MW with you? You could always say she's your sister (mom, aunt, etc.) if that makes it easier to bring her...

mom22sofar 06-21-2011 12:23 PM

I am just wondering-it is a clinic that aims to deter pregnant women considering abortion from doing so by showing them an ultrasound live in person? Not to be political or anything, but honestly, I wouldn't want to be in a roomful of stressed out unsure pregnant women making one of the most difficult choices of their lives while I am joyfully pregnant. It isn't a pro-life/pro-choice thing, just that I don't want to be a part of their anguish while I am happily pregnant. It just seems like a really emotionally charged situation and I would take it way too personally for those in the room-or are you not able to see them or anything? Maybe I am totally misunderstanding and they take a video and show them?

TwinKristi 06-21-2011 12:31 PM

I would be uncomfortable for another reason. I guess if those u/s' are meant for a specific reason (preventing abortion) and you're not using it for that reason, but just for a free u/s, than I might be a little apprehensive. It' I'm not opposed to early u/s though so if it's something you're comfortable with than go for it. I know I would be a wreck if I didn't have an u/s by now. I've had 3 (my OB does them at the 1st trimester appts at 8 & 12wks because their doppler doesn't usually pick it up yet and my NT scan at 12wks) so my worries have been put to ease and now I'm starting to feel movement so there isn't that big unknown.