Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   School lunch questions and fish free pitfalls? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230967)

Computermama 06-20-2011 10:56 PM

School lunch questions and fish free pitfalls?

I just found out that the school my DD will be attending come September is not only nut free (all nuts, not just peanuts), but they have a severely fish allergic child in attendance, so no seafood products either. So I'd like to pick some brains, if you ladies wouldn't mind.

1) Any products that have fish in them that I might not be aware of? I know I can't send caesar dressing, but are there any others? The nut stuff is labelled, but not so much the fish.

2) DD won't eat most meats, and I'm trying to get more protein in her - tuna and peanut butter are my standbys and they're now both out for school lunches. Any other ideas? And no, no such thing as a hot lunch in any elementary school around here. I've only ever seen an elementary cafeteria on television.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 06-20-2011 11:13 PM

Re: School lunch questions and fish free pitfalls?

For a while you are just going to have to read labels on everything. After a month or two, you should have a good idea what will or won't be ok.

Protein ideas
yogurt
cheese and crackers
string cheese
bean burrito or bean dip with chips
soups (chicken noodle with tiny pieces of chicken or even none at all-if you make your own broth, there's still quite a bit of nutrition there, chili, ham and bean or split pea soup)
black bean and corn salsa with chips or veggies to dip
hard boiled egg
egg salad sandwich or with crackers
scrambled eggs in a thermos
fried egg sandwich
hummus and veggies or crackers

blackbirdmama*3 06-21-2011 07:48 AM

Sunbutter is a great sub for pb! I actually just made some gf sunbutter and choc chip cookies last night that were good, so you can bake with it too!

And all of the above are great ideas!

ArronDalesMama 06-21-2011 11:11 AM

Ds won't touch meat so for lunches I have to think hard.

Waffles, fruit, yogurt
Homemade lunchables- crackers, cheese, carrot sticks, celery
Pancakes
Muffins (I make all kinds and keep them frozen, today he got a apple muffin)
Fried rice
Tofu nuggets (make like chicken nuggets but tofu
Plain pasta with parm cheese
Garlic bread
Tofu scramble with veggies
Asian style veggies (veggies in a simple soy sauce)
Corn bread
Veggie chicken patties
Veggie sausage (why he won't eat meat but eats the veggie kind is beyond me)

I normally pair with fruit and yogurt and a fun side. He eats like a bird. If peanut butter and tuna are a staple for protein try switching what is eaten for breakfast and lunch. Who says you cannot have a tuna sandwich for breakfast and waffles for lunch? Or peanut butter on toast for breakfast. That is if you eat breakfast at home.

Hands&Fire Pottery 06-21-2011 11:17 AM

Worchestershire sauce has fish- anchovies.

Does she like hummus- maybe with some veggies and pitas? Egg salad?

lakemom 06-22-2011 04:10 PM

This may not help you right away, but maybe is an idea to bring up to the principal and/or school board. Our small private school has a seperate table in the cafeteria where the children with severe food allergies sit together. That way they are not exposed to the allergens and the other kids still have the right to eat what they like/want. Our school used to be peanut free and this just works out so much better all around as there were constant complaints about the peanut free situation due to so many kids that won't eat anything else for lunch.

skolbut 06-24-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery (Post 13194575)
Worchestershire sauce has fish- anchovies.

I've been buying vegetarian worcestershire here for years. Most store brands are anchovy-free, lee & perrins for sure has anchovies. Just read the label. IDK if you have Kroger, but their store brand is anchovy free.

Great lunch ideas so far!
My kids love the homemade lunchables.

Hard boiled eggs, or egg salad might be a good addition, as well as pretty much any bean (my kids love plain black beans or garbanzos).
Bean and cheese quesadillas (or if you can sneak in some shredded chicken)
Cream cheese and jelly on bread, roll, english muffin, bagel, tortilla roll-up, etc.
My kids LOVE veggie burger patties
Veggie kabobs and fruit kabobs with fun dips (and you can hide purees in them)

percussionsmith 06-24-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse (Post 13191761)
For a while you are just going to have to read labels on everything. After a month or two, you should have a good idea what will or won't be ok.

Protein ideas
yogurt
cheese and crackers
string cheese
bean burrito or bean dip with chips
soups (chicken noodle with tiny pieces of chicken or even none at all-if you make your own broth, there's still quite a bit of nutrition there, chili, ham and bean or split pea soup)
black bean and corn salsa with chips or veggies to dip
hard boiled egg
egg salad sandwich or with crackers
scrambled eggs in a thermos
fried egg sandwich
hummus and veggies or crackers

AWESOME SUGGESTIONS!!! We are going into Kindergarten next year and these are just the ideas I need too! THanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skolbut (Post 13217258)
I've been buying vegetarian worcestershire here for years. Most store brands are anchovy-free, lee & perrins for sure has anchovies. Just read the label. IDK if you have Kroger, but their store brand is anchovy free.

Great lunch ideas so far!
My kids love the homemade lunchables.

Hard boiled eggs, or egg salad might be a good addition, as well as pretty much any bean (my kids love plain black beans or garbanzos).
Bean and cheese quesadillas (or if you can sneak in some shredded chicken)
Cream cheese and jelly on bread, roll, english muffin, bagel, tortilla roll-up, etc.
My kids LOVE veggie burger patties
Veggie kabobs and fruit kabobs with fun dips (and you can hide purees in them)

LOVE LOVE LOVE THiS! Keep the ideas rolling! So Helpful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakemom (Post 13204871)
This may not help you right away, but maybe is an idea to bring up to the principal and/or school board. Our small private school has a seperate table in the cafeteria where the children with severe food allergies sit together. That way they are not exposed to the allergens and the other kids still have the right to eat what they like/want. Our school used to be peanut free and this just works out so much better all around as there were constant complaints about the peanut free situation due to so many kids that won't eat anything else for lunch.

I struggle with this whole process, but don't know if this is the right solution either...the kids with allergies don't want to be isolated or made to stand out, but its quite an imposition on everyone else to have to modify their meals too. I know that's not the subject of this thread, but this just seems like such a difficult problem to solve!

HLCreations 06-24-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakemom (Post 13204871)

I don't send a child to school (we homeschool) and I also don't have an allergy child, but I do know several children who are allergic to nuts, dairy, eggs and garlic in our homeschool group.

For the one little guy with peanut allergies his condition isn't limited to 'if he eats a peanut'. If my kids eat a PB sandwich and reach for a doorknob with sticky fingers and the child with the allergy touches that SAME doorknob, his throat can close up.

His mama carries around a little red bag ALL THE TIME with his Epi pen and other medical necessaries.

I feel for my mama friends and so we NEVER bring things to group that could harm our friends.

I get that schools are large and it's a LOT to ask for to change up lunches.
But, is it the BIGGEST deal in the world to have your child eat something other than PB&J? It's one sandwich. And there are SO many other choices out there (that PPs have already offered up!) :thumbsup:

I think it's a shame that your school chooses to sit the kids at a different table. So, not only do they have a life threatening problem, but now they are ostracized from their classmates. :cry:

"the other kids have a right to eat what they want"...how about the allergy children have a right to LIVE?
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

skolbut 06-24-2011 03:22 PM

Just wanted to add that my kids nut/fish free lunch today was:

Homemade cornbread
Nitrate/Nitrite free Turkey dogs (my kids love 'em cold in their lunch cut into "wheels" with ketchup)
Homemade applesauce
String cheese cut into "wheels" with toothpicks so they could make them into snowmen
Leftover watermelon that MUST GET EATEN!

I know you said your LO won't eat many meats, but what kid doesn't like a dog??? Also, my kids REALLY like when I send all finger foods, like a muffin tin meal or easy lunchbox, so chunks of veggies, fruit, cheese, meat, crackers, olives, etc.
The other thing my ODS is into right now is making his own yogurt parfait -- with yogurt, granola, honey, and fruit if he's in the mood. That would be a filling lunch! (It's his usual breakfast). Just make sure the granola is nut-free or make your own.
Also my kids really like ANYTHING they can scoop up with chips, and they don't mind stuff cold, so leftover white chicken chili, seven layer dip (mmmm.... guacamole!), chicken stew (I send crackers with this), hummus (we make it at home, you might want to check with the school if tahini is allowed, if not, just leave it out), cottage cheese with seasonings.
We also eat bagels with cream cheese for lunch all the time. The ones made by Sam's are made in a nut-free facility and if you get cream cheese with veggies in it, I can justify that it's "healthy", lol.
Oh, and I always forget about pierogies!!!! YUM. (yep, my kids would eat 'em cold if I sauteed them in the morning.)

ETA: Will your DD eat pasta with meat sauce? You could send cold pasta, or chicken and/or cheese tortellini.