Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EBFed baby with tooth decay! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1231030)

lisathib123 06-21-2011 04:56 AM

EBFed baby with tooth decay!

Has anyone's baby have tooth decay because they nursed their baby exclusively? My last three childrens' teeth started to get holes in the front of all of their teeth at about 18m of age. Well the dentist never once asked me if I BFed. It was always "do they suck a bottle at night?" So I have three children full of stainless steel caps even though I did everything I could to prevent it (low sugar, brush 2x a day, wipe teeth with wet rag during the day, etc.) the damage was already dons before they even started solids! Well after the last child's teeth started falling apart, I googles nursing and decay. Well EBFing caused tooth decay! Why oh why! I breast fed because I thought it was best. Very weak baby teeth does run in my family, so that is also a strong factor. I was just curious if anyone else had this problem. OK, enough venting.

Truckerswife 06-21-2011 06:43 AM

my baby teeth came in with no enamel on them i was ebf until 9 months and also had a mouth full of teeth with fillings

Greenbabybottoms 06-21-2011 06:52 AM

Re: EBFed baby with tooth decay!

It depends on which source you look at on whether they believe breastmilk causes tooth decay. Most of the newer research shows that breastmilk is actually non cariogenic and actually can help to prevent tooth decay. Also while a baby is nursing the milk is going to the back of their mouth, behind the teeth, as opposed to the way the milk goes in when they are taking a bottle. The cause of decay is more than likely poor genetics. My youngest actually has weakened enamel and is very prone to decay and cavities. Our dentist has told us it is lucky we nurse and nurse for so long because that has basically saved her teeth. Had she been on a bottle or been getting milk out of a cup he believes her teeth would be much worse.

ETA- Here is a link from kellymom with a bit of information http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

THBVsMama 06-21-2011 08:16 AM

Breastmilk actually contains lactoferrin, which is a decay fighting agent. My (& my childrens') dentist actually recommends extended breastfeeding to help prevent decay AND to help properly align a child's jaw. Sidenote: my aunt works for a pediatric dentist, and he, too, disagrees with the research that says breastfeeding leads to decay.

My 5 year & 17 month old has perfect teeth so far. I would say it's good genetics, but my husband and I both have had several fillings in our lifetime, so I contribute it to proper dental hygiene. I am very proactive with their teeth. I let the kids brush their own teeth after breakfast to get 'practice' in, but I brush their teeth before bed, even my 5 year old's.

My dentist recommends the parent brushing the teeth before bed until the child is capable of writing in cursive. He says at that point they should have the proper hand dexterity to reach all surfaces of the teeth. I've watched my 5 year old brush his teeth. He tends to stick to just the front as opposed to reaching the back without my constant supervision.

My 17 month old still nurses before bedtime. I brush her teeth as part of her bedtime routine, but I do nurse afterwards.. I just don't allow any other form of food/liquid (other than breastmilk) after her teeth are brushed.

ETA: I don't mean to imply that your childrens' decay is due to lack of dental hygiene. Not at all! Genetics very well can play a part in weakened enamel.

lisathib123 06-21-2011 12:30 PM

It's definitely not poor hygiene, I will wake them to brush if they fall asleep early at night! Everyone does have a different opinion, that's what makes it so frustrating and heartbreaking! Now, once their adult teeth are out, they are great. My oldest has not one filling yet. It's just those darn baby teeth. It really makes me scared for the next baby.

daddyn4wisechix 06-26-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms (Post 13192882)
It depends on which source you look at on whether they believe breastmilk causes tooth decay. Most of the newer research shows that breastmilk is actually non cariogenic and actually can help to prevent tooth decay. Also while a baby is nursing the milk is going to the back of their mouth, behind the teeth, as opposed to the way the milk goes in when they are taking a bottle. The cause of decay is more than likely poor genetics. My youngest actually has weakened enamel and is very prone to decay and cavities. Our dentist has told us it is lucky we nurse and nurse for so long because that has basically saved her teeth. Had she been on a bottle or been getting milk out of a cup he believes her teeth would be much worse.

ETA- Here is a link from kellymom with a bit of information http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

:exactly: BF does NOT cause decay... I just read an article today...

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/08/big-b...ng-is-not.html

Just think of how many cavities your LOs would have had if they had been FF!?!?!? We have decay issues too... enamel hypoplasia is present when their teeth errupt & no matter how we brush, stains & decay happen... I can't tell you how many tears I have shed over this... sure makes me wonder what the heck is going on now when I hear of, read of, and/or talk to multiple people w/this issues w/their LOs. Gee, why isn't all the wonderful fluoride in the water, food, etc. stopping this?!?!? :rolleyes2:

daddyn4wisechix 06-26-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THBVsMama (Post 13193480)
Breastmilk actually contains lactoferrin, which is a decay fighting agent. My (& my childrens') dentist actually recommends extended breastfeeding to help prevent decay AND to help properly align a child's jaw. Sidenote: my aunt works for a pediatric dentist, and he, too, disagrees with the research that says breastfeeding leads to decay.

WOW, if I lived in TX I'd be seeing your LOs dentist!! The dentists stink here... hey, can your dentist recommend someone in IL??

daddyn4wisechix 06-26-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisathib123 (Post 13195702)
It's definitely not poor hygiene, I will wake them to brush if they fall asleep early at night! Everyone does have a different opinion, that's what makes it so frustrating and heartbreaking! Now, once their adult teeth are out, they are great. My oldest has not one filling yet. It's just those darn baby teeth. It really makes me scared for the next baby.

Awwwwww, I know how you feel!!!!! :hugs:

It gives me hope that when the adult teeth come they are healthy... I hope that is so for my kids... do your LO happen to have any issues w/gluten?? I just read about a small study where 55% of their participants w/dental issues have gluten issues... we have GS (gluten sensitivity over here), so it makes me wonder...

Greenbabybottoms 06-26-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyn4wisechix (Post 13233438)
Awwwwww, I know how you feel!!!!! :hugs:

It gives me hope that when the adult teeth come they are healthy... I hope that is so for my kids... do your LO happen to have any issues w/gluten?? I just read about a small study where 55% of their participants w/dental issues have gluten issues... we have GS (gluten sensitivity over here), so it makes me wonder...

This is really interesting. While none of my kids have gluten issues that we know of many members of my mom's family do have celiac disease, makes me think maybe I should have my girls tested even though they don't show any symptoms.

daddyn4wisechix 06-26-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms (Post 13233473)
This is really interesting. While none of my kids have gluten issues that we know of many members of my mom's family do have celiac disease, makes me think maybe I should have my girls tested even though they don't show any symptoms.

The symptoms can be very subtle... or something attributed to something else... or even silent. I didn't have an symptoms, or so I thought, but after 3 days of GF I had tons of energy & AF was 1/3 of what it had been since my very 1st cycle. It is still that way several months later... I used to not be able to leave the house during AF for fear of "accidents"... I have a life now!! :mrgreen: