Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Washing help--very soft well water (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12316)

mama_2_two 06-07-2006 08:30 AM

Washing help--very soft well water

We are going to be going to my parents' for two weeks. Since I've just been on an AIO buying frenzy, I'd like to be able to use these instead of buying sposies for the trip. My parents have very soft well water. Does anyone with experience with this have any advice as far as washing goes? I don't want to ruin my diapers--in that case I will just buy a pack of disposables. Right now we use Sun detergent or washing soda/Simple Green. Thanks for your help.

Kay

FitMommyOf2 06-07-2006 08:34 AM

Re: Washing help--very soft well water

:popcorn:
Sorry, I have no idea, but I'm curious to hear the answer aswell.

Bridget Riedell 06-07-2006 08:50 AM

I am also wondering about soft water. I will be moving in August and the town uses water softener for each homes water supply. Will this do anything different to my dipes. Right now we live in the city and the water is city water (obviously); no softeners.

:popcorn:

negrapy 06-07-2006 09:20 AM

my grandma uses softners in hers and i know that when you are taking a shower there it is really hard to get all the soap off... so very little soft, extra rinse, and i'd stay away from fleece since it bulids up easier
but, if its just well water with no softner (thats what we have) its a little different. Stay away from vingear that makes everything worse...
i do cold soak or wash with washing soda, hot wash with purex free and clear, cold rinse... line dry and fluff in dryer. We have mostly prefolds with some aios but no hemp. It works well for us. I just do the microfiber twoels separately now every few washes because I had trouble getting the soap out of them even when the rinse was bubble free.

mamabug 06-07-2006 09:50 AM

We have soft well water and I use very little Sun, then run a 2nd cold wash. Works just fine!

SandyG 06-07-2006 10:19 AM

i have city soft water
i use allens for my trainers. i would get some allens, it goes a looong way as you only have to do lil squirt. capful

mama_2_two 06-07-2006 11:57 AM

How much do you consider "very little" as far as detergent goes? Covering the bottom of the cap? A few tablespoons? I use about half a cap now and have a hard time believing it does the job. Any less will really throw me for a loop!

What about washing soda? How much of that in the first rinse?

Thanks for your help...