Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Online shopping in Alaska & Hawaii - shall we make a Sticky or dedicated thread? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1231753)

welovetherain 06-22-2011 08:59 AM

Online shopping in Alaska & Hawaii - shall we make a Sticky or dedicated thread?

I'm not new to online shopping but I am new to online shopping from ALASKA. I have recently moved from one of the top 5 largest cities in the US to an island with four radio stations, something that resembles a WalMart and a Safeway. So now that I don't have every store imaginable at my finger tips I'm not quite freaking out because I know there's always the internet... BUT not everyone ships to Alaska and some have an additional charge on top of standard shipping. So I'd like to make a list for us banished to the destitute of "I'm sorry, we don't ship there" :giggle:

So far I've gotten the basics:

WalMart
Target
Toys-R-Us/Babies-R-Us

Aleta 06-22-2011 11:50 AM

Re: Online shopping in Alaska & Hawaii - shall we make a Sticky or dedicated thread?

Old Navy, Children's Place, Amazon.com (most stuff), payless, crocs.com

Just about every store I've ordered from will ship to AK... for a price :(

an_aurora 06-22-2011 11:52 AM

Good luck getting any large items like car seats or strollers up here. The only place that will ship is Amazon, and you can get free shipping but they rarely have sales. All the places with good prices that advertise free shipping don't ship here.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

welovetherain 06-22-2011 12:51 PM

Re: Online shopping in Alaska & Hawaii - shall we make a Sticky or dedicated thread?

I think I'm crossing Crate & Barrel off my list - they charge and additional $10 on top of standard shipping

PerrisMom 06-27-2011 10:04 PM

Ugh, I've been thinking about all of the stores that I am going to miss when I move there in 2weeks and 4days. Though I am moving to Anchorage, so I really shouldn't complain.

an_aurora 06-27-2011 10:06 PM

I went through a huge Trader Joe's withdrawals when we moved here. Food here is so $$$ and the produce is crappy.

PerrisMom 06-27-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora
I went through a huge Trader Joe's withdrawals when we moved here. Food here is so $$$ and the produce is crappy.

Oh my goodness, when I realized I'd be without TJ's I almost cried. I told my mom she would have to send me care packages of the jar sauces. I will have to get it all in before I leave!!

Winco is another one I'm gonna miss. Is there anywhere in Anchorage that has a good bulk bin section?

an_aurora 06-27-2011 11:30 PM

Fred Meyer's actually has a pretty good bulk section. Natural Pantry has a bunch too but it's a bit expensive for me.

PerrisMom 06-27-2011 11:33 PM

I keep hearing amazing things about Fred Meyer. I'm gonna have to be careful to not over spend my first trip!

welovetherain 07-02-2011 11:22 PM

I went online to Fred Meyer and there really wasn't anything worth ordering. I'm in Ketchikan - I don't think Anchorage is anything to complain about.