Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Woman Centered C Sections (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232319)

StrongMom 06-23-2011 05:11 AM

Woman Centered C Sections

Hi Ladies!
I am working on compiling a list of places that will allow you to hold baby in the OR so that other women, me included, can use those facilities over ones which will not allow you to hold the baby. Hopefully this will allow more woman to have a positive CS experience if they need one. I developed PTSD after the birth of my last baby because we were separated for a long time, without any information. My hope is that another woman does not have to go through that.

Thank you in advance!

So far I have found the following hospitals:
Fort McMurray, Alberta Canada
Hendricks County Hospital, Danville, IN
Memorial West, Pembroke Pines, FL
Maimonides Med Center, Brooklyn NY with help of Midwives from Brooklyn Birthing Center
Brandon Hospital, Brandon, FL
Riverside Methodist, Columbus OH
Carolinas Medical Center - Pineville, Charlotte NC
Sparrow Hospital, Lansing, MI
Saddleback Memorial in Laguna Hills Ca

MeCo7707 06-23-2011 05:21 AM

Re: Woman Centered C Sections

I have no info but :hugs: thanks for doing this - it's so important that whatever the reason a woman has a c/s she gets that bonding time with her babe!

StrongMom 06-23-2011 12:33 PM

Thanks for your support! I was so surprised that a list like this doesn't exist anywhere. I don't think that the facilities understand what a wonderful 'selling point' this would be for woman. I also don't think that enough woman know that it can be done safely. My first OB said that it can't be done 'safely'. I think that a lot of OB are trained in 'old' ways and aren't aware how to think outside of the box. I also don't think that they are aware of how much harm they are doing to some woman by continuing to use the standard methods. They don't see these since by the time they are truly apparent the woman has been release from the hospital.

LilWifee 06-23-2011 12:57 PM

UNC hospital in chapel hill nc is open to mommy centered csections. They will do dim lights no talking baby intantly on breast. also music and sheet down or using a mirror to c whats going on. I had an inverted T csection with first I was told csections only from now on and delivery at 36 weeks. I am 24 weeks and found a practice in richmond va who are way supportive with my chioce to try a vbac!i have educated myself about mommy centered sections in case thisvbac doesnt go well. Jessica

StrongMom 06-23-2011 06:46 PM

So the list is growing again! :D

So far I have found the following hospitals:

Birthing Inn in Landsdowne, Va with the Loudoun Community Midwives
UNC hospital in chapel hill NC
Fort McMurray, Alberta Canada
Hendricks County Hospital, Danville, IN
Memorial West, Pembroke Pines, FL
Maimonides Med Center, Brooklyn NY with help of Midwives from Brooklyn Birthing Center
Brandon Hospital, Brandon, FL
Riverside Methodist, Columbus OH
Carolinas Medical Center - Pineville, Charlotte NC
Sparrow Hospital, Lansing, MI
Saddleback Memorial in Laguna Hills Ca

StrongMom 06-23-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilWifee (Post 13211885)
UNC hospital in chapel hill nc is open to mommy centered csections. They will do dim lights no talking baby intantly on breast. also music and sheet down or using a mirror to c whats going on. I had an inverted T csection with first I was told csections only from now on and delivery at 36 weeks. I am 24 weeks and found a practice in richmond va who are way supportive with my chioce to try a vbac!i have educated myself about mommy centered sections in case thisvbac doesnt go well. Jessica

Thank you for the info! Have you found anyone in Richmond who will do a woman centered CS? That would be closer to me than some of the other places.

LilWifee 06-24-2011 07:47 AM

While both the docs in richmond I know are vety much for natural childbirth snd support vbacs (even high risk like me) I believe dr. diaz also does csections. I am sure she would be open to doing one your way. She is extremely for the momma. I would call them ask to talk to abbi dini who is the birth venter director and she will link u up wth dr. diaz. Dr diaz and dr carpenter openec a freestanding birth center but do deliveries right next door at hospital also. I will b n hospital n case I neef a csection. I encourage u to call dr. diaz. If she cant do one I bet she knows who will! the number is 804 320 4967

StrongMom 06-24-2011 03:14 PM

Thanks so much!!!

motherof3sons 07-25-2011 06:48 PM

I had a client who delivered at Windham Hosptial in CT. It ended in a c-section because of breech presentation. She had requested from her Dr (Mansfield OBGYN Dr Gildersleeve - very pro natural birth and pro VBAC) to hold the baby during her OR stay and she was able to do just that. It was the best case scenario for her!

I really think that at times it has more to do with the OB delivering and not just the hospital. So, feel free to add that hospital and Dr to the list. I've heard not so great things about that hospital but awesome things about that Dr in particular. HTHs

StrongMom 07-26-2011 05:51 PM

Thanks so much!!!