Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ethical question about Ameda (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232341)

hilaryisinked 06-23-2011 06:35 AM

Ethical question about Ameda

I read here that the same company that makes Ameda pumps makes Plastibell circumcision devices. Does anyone boycott Ameda because of this? I was planning on using their Purely Yours pump to EP for this next baby but now I guess I will be taking my business elsewhere. I'm not sure where though...

loving my family 06-23-2011 07:55 AM

Re: Ethical question about Ameda

I don't want to sound rood but am curious why you are & so many are against circumcisions?

hilaryisinked 06-23-2011 08:14 AM

http://www.circumstitions.com/
http://intactamerica.org/

loving my family 06-23-2011 08:56 AM

I guess maybe its because I had to many friends tell me there medical issues 1 of them were male. People in general were always comfortable telling me showing me things rather than there Dr.s first. I will spare you the details LOL! any ways the guy I am referring to had a problem. His skin when fully erect could not be pulled back at all it would a completely ripped & asked me what he should do?
He could never engage in a intimate relationship cause a of pain & to much embarrassment he had received in the past. I told him talk to your Dr. he said he was scared & didn't know how to plus feared getting circ'ed in his 20's.
Unfortunately he had to have this painful procedure done in his 20's because he could never get married & have a X life if he didn't.
His condition was not rare by any mean's. I had read in 1 of my brothers books a about this & men trying to stretch it with out tearing it.
It also talked about how they used to cut off way too much skin & men having to stretch there skin.
It goes both way's!!

Which is why they do Partial circumcisions as a norm you can request full circ's for religious purposes but most Dr.s would argue against this strongly.

I Understand the Hate for Full Circumcisions. But not Partial 1's?

mama0609 06-23-2011 08:58 AM

Ameda is made/owned by Evenflo....

ETA: When I spoke with Ameda after my DD was born in 2009, they had just been bought out by Evenflo... They are no longer part of the Hollister family.

MrsJordan85 06-23-2011 09:01 AM

Why are you planning on EPing Hilary? Not to butt into your business :blush:

JeDeeLenae 06-23-2011 09:29 AM

I don't think I would boycott. There could be possible reasons for it to be used, no matter how small a chance. It may be overused, but I would blame those that over use it, not who makes it.

Kriket 06-23-2011 09:54 AM

Putting the plastibell issue aside. (which Medela is being boycotted because they "violate the who code")

I had a PY and wouldn't have made it EPing. The piece broke down within about 4 months. Kinda started getting jerkey, and didn't work. Everyone was like "oh... I don't know whats wrong... send it in for 6 weeks and we'll check it out" WTF.. How was my baby going to eat for those 6 weeks? Dumb. I ended up limping through, a combo of lots of breast compressions, and nursing one side, while pumping the other (to take advantage of the let down)
I've heard good things from premie moms about the Lactina.
I also want to get my hands on a Simplisse. They look like they would be what I need :)

I would get the hospital grade work horse if you plan on EP. Also, not to butt into your business. I wouldn't wish EPing on my worse enemy. Pumping bloooows.

Like cassie said. Don't blame the maker. If there wasn't a market, they wouldn't make it. Plus, they are a medical device company. Not an evil circumcision pushing hechman who happens to make breast pumps (to fund more circs bwhahahaa!)

;)

lj2blessed 06-23-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryisinked (Post 13208886)
I was planning on using their Purely Yours pump to EP for this next baby but now I guess I will be taking my business elsewhere. I'm not sure where though...

I used the "purple sister/cousin" pump of that - the Lansinoh Double Electric Pump - same pump, just doesn't come with a bag (cheaper too).

I didn't EP, just used it at home for maybe a pump per day (I WOHM FT) - but I don't think it'd be a "contender" for EPing either. Now don't get me wrong, it's strong enough to suck the chrome off a '57 Chevy, but I think the motor would give out with that much use.

Sorry mama :goodvibes:

hilaryisinked 06-23-2011 11:05 AM

Thank you for all the info on the pumps!!! I'll be researching all the options out there now to try to find the best one for me.

Elisabeth-I'm planning on EPing because I had a really horrid time with nursing Aubrey. I have a whole lot of anxiety issues, issues with being touched, sexual things that happened as a child that make it very uncomfortable for people to touch me. I felt very trapped while nursing Aubrey. I spent most of the 15 months lashing out at her for needing to nurse and then crying at the end of the day because I felt like such a horrible person. It was not healthy for either of us. I decided to EP this time so that our whole family can be a little happier.