Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   New to Richmond: need pediatrician recommendations (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232468)

addicteddad 06-23-2011 10:23 AM

New to Richmond: need pediatrician recommendations

Hey everyone,
My fiance and I just relocated to Richmond. We live on the south side, near Huguenot & Robious roads, and are looking for pediatrician recommendations.
Our son is 6 months old, and our last pediatrician was very open, honest, and helpful when it came to vax related concerns, so we are looking for someone similar.
We are not anti-vax per se, nor are we just strictly by the cdc schedule either. We're concerned with what goes into his body, and want to be able to monitor reactions, space them out when possible, or eliminate any that may not be very necessary so young (i.e. HepB)

Basically just looking for a personable, knowledgeable, open minded pedi that is good at communicating with his/her patients. Preferably one that stays up on the latest research in regards to kids.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

belle7611 06-28-2011 06:24 PM

We really like pediatric associates of Richmond. They are in the west end. But they do believe in vaccinating so not sure if it would work for you.

Bright_Life_Toys 06-28-2011 06:30 PM

Re: New to Richmond: need pediatrician recommendations

Welcome to the area!

I like Pediatric Associates as well. When I moved here, I called around to a lot of places and basically was told I had to vax on time.

PA will follow whatever schedule you want to use. Schools here do require all vaccinations prior to starting school unless you have a religious exemption.

You do wait a bit there, IME before you see the doctor. Getting to a room is quick, and they have movies playing and fish tanks for the kids to look at.

tmrobinson 06-28-2011 07:16 PM

We also go to Pediatric Associates but they have another office on the South side near St. Francis hospital that we go to and would also be closer to you. My oldest dd just got her MMR last week when I took her in for her 4 yr. check up. We missed her 15 month appt. and then just kind of pushed it off for a bit, they never said anything to me when I would say we'd rather come back since she was already getting 2 or 3 other shots. I think a couple of the doctors are a little older so they may have a different opinion but the pedi I see has always been ok with what I want to do though we do Vax I just don't like piling them all on at once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by belle7611 (Post 13251070)
We really like pediatric associates of Richmond. They are in the west end. But they do believe in vaccinating so not sure if it would work for you.

addicteddad 08-10-2011 03:21 PM

Well no luck as of yet. Caldwell pediatrics only does once a month open house, and the receptionist failed to tell us it needed to be scheduled.
The ped at Rockville told us she checks to see if intact boys are retractable, so that was a no go, as I don't want to have to battle that misinformation.
Why is this so hard?

kellyzoo 08-11-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicteddad
Hey everyone,
My fiance and I just relocated to Richmond. We live on the south side, near Huguenot & Robious roads, and are looking for pediatrician recommendations.
Our son is 6 months old, and our last pediatrician was very open, honest, and helpful when it came to vax related concerns, so we are looking for someone similar.
We are not anti-vax per se, nor are we just strictly by the cdc schedule either. We're concerned with what goes into his body, and want to be able to monitor reactions, space them out when possible, or eliminate any that may not be very necessary so young (i.e. HepB)

Basically just looking for a personable, knowledgeable, open minded pedi that is good at communicating with his/her patients. Preferably one that stays up on the latest research in regards to kids.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

I use pediatric and adolescent health partners and LOVE THEM they have an office in bon air and another in midlothian. I highly recommend dr Seliskar. My only complaint with her is she is usually running late but that is because she actually takes her time with her patients and you never feel rushed by her. I have lived in Richmond my whole life in the southside and work off of Huguenot rd so PM me if you have any questions at all!!!