Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mixed emotions about food (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233354)

cupnkey 06-24-2011 06:42 PM

Mixed emotions about food

My only DD is 6.5 months and we just started solid foods this week. I haven't pureed anything, just softened carrots by cooking and I gave her already soft avocado. Everytime she opens her mouth wide to put food in I get this big mixed bag of emotions that runs over me. She's my first baby and we have EBF to this point so this is the beginning of the end of our breastfeeding relationship. We plan on nursing until she self-weans (probably after age 2 right?) but I know that the frequency of our feedings will greatly reduce in just a few short months. But I'm also very proud that my DD has figured out how to eat so quickly. This must have been the right time for her, it's just bittersweet for me.

I guess I wanted to know if any other mamas have felt this way. I know our parenting routine is going to change now. It just seems like so much more work to feed DD, clean up afterwards, and I'm still waiting but I hear her dirty diapers are going to change drastically as well. I'm lucky to have an extremely supportive DH that is realizing my mixed feelings.

Ehlane 06-24-2011 08:48 PM

Re: Mixed emotions about food

Feeding solids IS a lot more work than breastfeeding, no doubt about it. But it can also be a lot of fun. There are days when you're just going to HAVE to laugh at your baby's reaction to the food. :) DS is 13 months now and isn't nearly as interested in nursing anymore, which definitely makes me sad. But it's also nice to know that Daddy can feed him while I'm at work on the weekends and I'm not chained to the pump anymore trying to squeeze out enough to hold him over.

I've also enjoyed the opportunity to try new foods for our family, too. We've started making green smoothies (google it) every afternoon and I've even got DH looking forward to them. We put spinach, whatever fruit is laying around, flax and yogurt in there and YUM! I don't know if I'd ever have done this if it weren't for DS.

I think with kids all of the stages they go through end up feeling SO short! Guess that's why I want another! ;)

socalgal 06-24-2011 11:49 PM

aww, it is bittersweet. Sad that your baby is not only ebf but nice that shes old enough to eat now. Don't worry, hopefully she will bf for awhile yet.

Qbit 06-25-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupnkey (Post 13222792)
My only DD is 6.5 months and we just started solid foods this week. I haven't pureed anything, just softened carrots by cooking and I gave her already soft avocado. Everytime she opens her mouth wide to put food in I get this big mixed bag of emotions that runs over me. She's my first baby and we have EBF to this point so this is the beginning of the end of our breastfeeding relationship. We plan on nursing until she self-weans (probably after age 2 right?) but I know that the frequency of our feedings will greatly reduce in just a few short months. But I'm also very proud that my DD has figured out how to eat so quickly. This must have been the right time for her, it's just bittersweet for me.

I guess I wanted to know if any other mamas have felt this way. I know our parenting routine is going to change now. It just seems like so much more work to feed DD, clean up afterwards, and I'm still waiting but I hear her dirty diapers are going to change drastically as well. I'm lucky to have an extremely supportive DH that is realizing my mixed feelings.

Ohhh, not necessarily! My DS picked up on solids very quickly too. Boy oh boy that boy could eat! He can still pack it away now and then (growth spurts I guess). But as far as nursing goes, I would hardly call the intro to solids the beginning of the end for us. My DS is 2.5yo now and still nurses pretty frequently. He actually asks for it a little more often than I'd like. Child-led weaning was what I was all about too, and I still feel pretty strongly about it. But at 22 months my DS was still waking up multiple times a night to nurse. I wasn't getting the sleep I needed and so I made the difficult decision to night wean. It went very smoothly and easily and I feared that it would lead to my DS weaning all together shortly after. But nope! He still loves mama milk as much as ever. I've even spent days away from him and it has had no effect on our nursing relationship. So I guess what I'm saying is, all LOs are different and if allowed to self-wean, some will do so sooner, and others later. But not food, nor night weaning, nor time away will necessarily have anything to do with when your LO decides her time at the breast has come to an end. So try not to think about it right now. Enjoy the now. Weaning may not come for quite some time yet:thumbsup:

cupnkey 06-25-2011 06:55 PM

Thanks for the replies and different perspectives :)

I did have fun as I watched my LO eat multiple bites of sweet potato tonight. She's almost as cute when she's messily eating as when she nurses.

It's comforting to know that we will have our special nursing relationship for a long time to come.

Greenbabybottoms 06-26-2011 08:41 AM

Solids did not change the frequency of either of my girls nursing. Both started around 6 ish months (my youngest a bit later) and they both still nursed every 2 hours around the clock until they were over 2. My oldest went on to nurse until she was 4 1/2 years old (she self weaned) and my youngest is 33 months and still nursing although not that often, I'm hoping she'll pick up a bit once the new baby comes in august.