Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I could use some cheering... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233782)

aept 06-25-2011 03:14 PM

I could use some cheering...

I am having a "nurse-in" with my 11-day old ds. He had some latch issues which are now mostly resolved, and sleepiness due to mild jaundice. Basically he was not nursing enough or sucking effectively and as a result my supply dropped. This is my third child and I nursed the first two succesfully for a combined total of 4 years, so I was so surprised and kinda freaked out to not have enough milk.
His wet and poopy diapers had been pretty marginal so I took him to the pedi yesterday and sure enough he has only gained one ounce in the last 7 days. Not an emergency, but not good. Should be 4-7 oz in a week.
This weekend I am trying to nurse around the clock, pump 5 min after feedings and then I cup-feed him the expressed milk. Very time-consuming. Fortunately my husband is home this weekend to tend to our two older boys.
Any words of support or success stories appreciated! Thanks mamas.

Ehlane 06-25-2011 07:19 PM

Re: I could use some cheering...

You can do it, Mama! Sounds like you're doing all the right things and you know what you're doing. Drink tons of water, find some good movies or a book and enjoy the time with your son. :) Good luck!

MDever 06-25-2011 07:23 PM

Hang tough mama!! You know those boobs can do it! Just like before. This is only temporary. I will keep you in my thoughts. Our DD child # 4 has had some challenges gaining so I know what you mean about being surprised. Keep up the awesome work.

Zookeeper 06-25-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever
Hang tough mama!! You know those boobs can do it! Just like before. This is only temporary.

That's just what I was thinking! You know they work, just have faith and keep doing exactly what you're doing. Like another poster also said, drink tons of water...

I will send you lots of good milk vibes!

~Rachel

amazon_jane21 06-25-2011 08:18 PM

Way to go, mama! You have already shown more determination than most moms who call me (I'm a LLL leader). Things will catch back up in a few days if you just keep it up. You should know that blood loss can affect milk supply, so if you lost more this time it could be messing with your supply. But you have it right - lots of nursing, pumping, skin contact, and water (but just drink to thirst, you don't want to end up causing edema). Oatmeal can help, too, and is super easy to make. Keep it up, mama!

RachelC 06-25-2011 08:21 PM

Drink lots of water and make sure you are consuming enough calories! I'm sure that the supply will bounce back now that the latch issues are better. Good for you for nursing your LO!

knlrachel 06-25-2011 08:27 PM

Congratulations on your determination!! I know a lot of moms who just give up and go to formula. Enjoy your nurse-in - get lots of naps, drink lots of water, and enjoy the solo baby time. Your breasts will remember what to do and your LO will figure things out too. You are being an AWESOME mom to put everything on hold to meet his needs :)

jouano 06-25-2011 09:00 PM

You can do it!

aept 06-25-2011 09:56 PM

Thank you all! I feel like I am in better spirits, and just in time - I am entering my hardest time - overnight, when it seems so much harder to wake myself, wake my sleeping baby, and "force" him to eat. I have to remember if I keep it up now, someday soon he will just snuggle in, latch on, and we will both drift back to sleep without much trouble!

juliabell 06-25-2011 10:32 PM

Good luck mama! I was in the same boat! My story is around here somewhere....I did the same thing, nursing weekend, pumping after nursing, supplementing with BM and eventually with formula. He's gaining now but I'm not sure where my supply is since I'm still kind of on the same routine. I took lots of Fenugreek, More Milk Plus, and ate lots of oatmeal. I suggest pumping more than 5 mins and make sure you're pumping a couple of minutes past a letdown. I hope to get to that stage too where it's easier and the nighttime nursing is not such an ordeal to wake, nurse, pump and then settle back in. Good luck and feel free to PM me for support or to share!