Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What do you consider "taking your prenatal vitamins"? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234270)

NorahsMom 06-26-2011 06:27 PM

What do you consider "taking your prenatal vitamins"?

I've basically been on prenatal vitamins for last six years or so, between pregnancy and breastfeeding and everything in between. I just read about a study the other day where "mothers of children with autism and autism spectrum disorders were significantly less likely than mothers of children without autism to have taken prenatal vitamins three months before conception and in the first month of pregnancy." The vitamins reduced the risk of autism by about 40%. That's pretty significant.

I just got my IUD out about three weeks ago so of course after reading that article I started reviewing my mental prenatal vitamin consumption record over the last month. It's not stellar. For the past few months I've taken my vitamin maybe once or twice a week, mainly because I was running low. (Stupid, I know).

So I don't really want a debate about whether or not prenatals are necessary (I quite trust the research behind them), nor do I want a debate about the study (it only served to get me thinking). I just want to know, if someone asked you if you were "taking" vitamins, what frequency would define that?

cinderella08 06-26-2011 06:30 PM

Re: What do you consider "taking your prenatal vitamins"?

For me, personally, "taking" my prenatals would mean I take them consistently every single day - not just sporadically or when I can remember.

Greenbabybottoms 06-26-2011 06:36 PM

I guess I would consider "taking" them to mean taking them more often than not. So I guess if I was taking my prenatal 4 days a week I would consider that taking them regularly.

angel0123 06-26-2011 07:26 PM

Nope dont take them. If i need to throw up let me take one and i will.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 06-26-2011 07:29 PM

Taking them would be taking them daily for the course of the pg.

AnimalHouse 06-26-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinderella08 (Post 13234171)
For me, personally, "taking" my prenatals would mean I take them consistently every single day - not just sporadically or when I can remember.

:yeahthat:

I start taking prenatals every day when TTC, and continue through pregnancy and nursing. Most brands make me sick, so I kept trying different ones until I found a prescription prenatal that doesn't.

badhayrday 06-26-2011 07:33 PM

I think it means taking them daily but honestly if I remember to take them several times in a week I feel really proud:blush:

cedricsmom 06-26-2011 07:45 PM

daily

Ten 06-26-2011 08:55 PM

For me, daily. I used to have the very occasional skip (mostly if I fell asleep on the couch, then woke up to toddle into bed) but now I measure a week's worth out in one of those pill minder things and leave it by the toilet, and I've trained myself to check it every time I go to the bathroom.

ambersrose 06-26-2011 09:04 PM

My husband sets out vitamins for me and the girls every morning so I take mine daily but if he didnt do that then I would be lucky to take them four days a week.