Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Do your friends and family respect what you do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234923)

bluedaisy 06-27-2011 07:12 PM

Do your friends and family respect what you do?

We just recently relocated and I had to quit a part time job that I loved working and teaching at a University.

I have a 2 1/2 year old and am expecting my second in Feb. With DH's income, I can probably be a SAHM but I am also starting an upcycling business on etsy and in craft fairs to bring in a little income.

I get strange reactions when I tell my friends and family. People have always commented on how much they like the things I make, and it seems like it's "cool" when it's just my hobby - but not as a job. I've always done very well in school and have advanced degrees, so I don't know if that's why people are reacting.

I just really want to be with my kids and I lost a lot of my career ambition when I became a mother. I love the idea of being able to do something I love while being with my kids 24/7, but I'm getting pretty discouraged from people's reactions. I get a feeling DH and my mom just don't take me very seriously and don't think I'll actually make any money, and my dad makes sarcastic comments about how he's glad I'm using my degrees and asking if my website has a million hits yet.

Can anyone relate? What do your friends and family think of what you do? Did you have similar reactions in the beginning?

BBBmOm 06-28-2011 12:20 AM

Re: Do your friends and family respect what you do?

I completely understand.
I am still working part time as a critical care respiratory therapist, and am getting ready to open my hyena cart store in a couple of weeks. I am SO excited and passionate about this adventure and hope that it can afford us to do with out my hospital income so I can stay home full time with my babies!
I also lost all career drive when I became a mom, and people just don't get it. It took me a while to be able to say "I want to quit my wonderful job to stay home and sew" :lol: but now I get excited!
My husband is supportive, he loves my hospital income, but also understands why Mommy wants to be home. He has helped so much along the way and probably knows more about cloth diapering than any man should :)
My MIL is supportive, my FIL is skeptical, my Dad is worried we'll go broke, and my mom flat ignores the issue. It is SO frustrating! She completely tunes me out whenever I bring up anything concerning the business. We're really close too, so it upsets me.
It my be the college thing. I know how proud they were when I graduated with my degrees, and I think they must think I'm just "throwing it all away". Uhggg....I understand how you feel, and feel free to PM my anytime to vent :)
I hope you do great! Remember, you are a good Mom for wanting to be home with your kids....that's NORMAL! And I know I am willing to do whatever to make that happen for myself :)

Vegan Momma 06-28-2011 09:16 AM

I teach and decided to go ahead and work and start my small business so I could get my feet wet while keeping my income. That has been great because it has given me time to find my own pitfalls. As far as what people think, who cares!!!!!!! Tell them you are a stay at home mom. That is good enough!!!! Tell them you also own a small business making children's clothes if that sounds better to you.

crystalanne79 06-28-2011 10:57 AM

I have very supportive friends and family but they are shocked that there is a market out there for cloth pads :giggle2:. I was a stay at home mom before I started my online store though so it did start as a hobby that exploded into a job. Even though I do put in hours every single day I do tell people I'm a stay-at-home mom first and that I run an online store as well because my first priority is my kids.

Made of Fleece 06-28-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBmOm (Post 13244500)
I also lost all career drive when I became a mom, and people just don't get it. It took me a while to be able to say "I want to quit my wonderful job to stay home and sew" :lol: but now I get excited!

This is TOTALLY me! My mom is the only one giving me grief (just a little) about quitting a high-paying career. She's always been pro-education and "you have to be able to stand on your own two feet". And I can and have, but now, it's a joy being here full-time for my DD who is starting standing on her own two feet, literally. DH is super supportive of everything I do, even if it's overwhelming the living room with piles of fabric to make cute things. This is what works for our family right now, and that's all the nay-sayers need to know. =)