Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alternative uses for pasta sauces? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1235327)

ltlmrs 06-28-2011 11:37 AM

Alternative uses for pasta sauces?

Anybody use a meat sauce with something other than pasta/polenta?

I'm thinking of making up and freezing a bunch of meat sauce and using it over alternative grains in addition to pasta/polenta. I'm thinking meat sauce over millet, meat sauce over buckwheat, etc. I know my mother makes buckwheat with meat, Russian style. But, the sauce I'm planning to make is more of an Italian style that's meant for pasta & polenta. It's so easy to make it in a huge batch and freeze for after the baby. But, I just don't feel like eating pasta with meat sauce once or twice a week and would love to find alternative ways of using it.

stevensmom 06-28-2011 11:39 AM

Re: Alternative uses for pasta sauces?

I don't think you can freeze the final product...but make the meat sauce freeze it and then defrost and put it into those big flakey biscuits...

take the biscuit dough flatten out...put meatsauce in...and fold over ... bake...makes it a meat pocket

momofdestructobaby 06-28-2011 11:40 AM

We use it on deep dish pizza, lasagna, and spaghetti squash.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 06-28-2011 11:42 AM

I use marinara/meat sauce interchangeably with pizza sauce. Maybe if you had some pizza crusts pre-made and frozen with a bag of sauce attached to it, all you would have to do is thaw add cheese and misc. veggies from the fridge.

I also use it as a dipping sauce for breadsticks. Sometimes we'll just have a big salad and breadsticks for dinner.

ltlmrs 06-28-2011 04:37 PM

These are fantastic ideas! I didn't even think of pizza or meat pies!

zandj 06-28-2011 06:27 PM

I make lasagna and cottage pie with our leftover bolagnaise sauce. It would also be good in a pot pie type crust IMO, like a mince pie in NZ. Oh, could also be used for sloppy joes

coquelicot 06-28-2011 06:33 PM

I use it instead of mayo on sandwiches. :)

P!nkPepper 06-29-2011 09:46 AM

Don't forget meatball marinara sandwiches. Also to dip cheese sticks.

Etrip 07-02-2011 08:56 PM

We love having sauce around during the week to make mini-pizzas on english muffins or bagels. It's a quick snack or meal!

Mara'sMommy 07-04-2011 08:03 PM

How about eggplant? I love cooked eggplant w/ meat sauce. The best way is breaded and fried with a little olive oil, but this is time consuming. It's just as good baked with olive oil too.

Chicken Parm? You could do it the easy way in a skillet/sauce pan. Just brown some chicken slices, add sauce then top with mozzarella cheese. Yummy! And easy. One pan to clean up.

I know this is pasta, and it is a little time consuming but I love to buy big shells an stuff them with ricotta, then top with meat sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake. Yum!!!!