Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Penguin Sports Wash (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1235757)

jaelynsmommy61607 06-29-2011 03:44 AM

I've been dealing with stinky prefolds and determined the cause was earth mama angel baby bottom balm. It's our daycare cd safe cream that its not so cd safe. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Not even for sposies as it smells awful imo. Anyhow in a previous thread I posted about this and penguin sport wash was suggested. I Googled it and found it locally at REI. I went and got a bottle for $10. It's 20 loads or 40 HE loads. Not bad imo. Only .50 a load.

My first group I did the 24 daycare prefolds. They were all clean to start with. Last week I stripped with dawn and rinsed until the water was clear and hardly any suds. They still smelled when peed in. I got them all in the washer turned off the cold water and added 1.5 caps of penguin sport wash. It had so many bubbles! I then ran 3 cold wash/rinse cycles until the water was clear and almost no suds. They smell so clean! Tomorrow will be the true test when I pick DS up from daycare. I will update with how they smell!

The second group I did was 24 bumgenius 4.0, 7 Econobums and 3 Flip covers. These don't have any stink issues. They just smell like tide and I wanted to get rid of the scent. I put them in and washed on hot. I used 1 cap PSW as recommend. This time it looked like I hadn't put any. I didn't need an extra rinse. I hung them up to dry and I still smell a little tide but its not as strong.

The third group I did the inserts we use in the Bg. So 12 infant prefolds, 13 flip organics and a few flats. Also threw in some of our cloth wipes. I used 1 cap again with hot water. This time it had a ton of bubbles like the first prefolds. I'm still rinsing these. I wasn't having stink with these to begin with but ill let you know how my pail smells!

I think this is a good product to strip diapers with. I think why it didn't get as many bubbles the 2nd group like the 1st and 3rd is because the pockets didn't have any build up like the prefolds and inserts.

It's very mild and biodegratable. I read its safe for sensitive skin. I will keep this updated. I will be using it again if its needed!

***UPDATE***
Ugh the prefolds stink. Not as bad as before. But still have a strong smell.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum

jaelynsmommy61607 06-29-2011 10:20 AM

I know this is long sorry! This morning my Bg and covers were dry. They smell SO much better!

cmaniezzz 06-29-2011 10:28 AM

Re: Penguin Sports Wash

Please keep the update coming.. I have problem with my flip organics too. Where do you find the soap? what aisle?

Dons.Donna 06-29-2011 10:48 AM

What's REI? Sorry 1st time I've seen that. Anywhere else I can look to find it locally?

I'm dealing with stinkies as well. Tried stripping with dawn, washing with bleach, 4 cup vinegar soak and switching to tide..nothing seems to work. It's my pfs, fitteds and inserts.

Sent from my Galaxy Tablet using DS Forum using swype..pls excuse typos

AndeeL 06-29-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dons.Donna
What's REI? Sorry 1st time I've seen that. Anywhere else I can look to find it locally?

I'm dealing with stinkies as well. Tried stripping with dawn, washing with bleach, 4 cup vinegar soak and switching to tide..nothing seems to work. It's my pfs, fitteds and inserts.

Wal Mart has it in the camping section, too. :) whit bottle, small, bright hunter-orange label.

Stefibeth 06-29-2011 10:55 AM

Re: Penguin Sports Wash

Great info! Thanks for sharing, mama!

Oooh, the camping section. That's good to know too, I don't think I would have thought the check there even though it's a sport wash!

Dons.Donna 06-29-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndeeL

Wal Mart has it in the camping section, too. :) whit bottle, small, bright hunter-orange label.

Awesome..i have to check that today..thank you.

jaelynsmommy61607 06-29-2011 12:22 PM

Walmart doesn't carry this specific brand. But I think it works just as well. Rie is a camping/outdoor store. It's also on amazon.com

Dons.Donna 06-29-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607
Walmart doesn't carry this specific brand. But I think it works just as well. Rie is a camping/outdoor store. It's also on amazon.com

There's another brand? I don't care for brands if it works i'm good especially if I can keep my pennies. Plmk what I should look for at walmart..TIA!!

AndeeL 06-29-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607

Oops, you're right! It's made by Atsko. I think it's essentially the same tho. :goodvibes: