Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Prefolds vs. Flats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1236170)

KyAngel07 06-29-2011 03:26 PM

Prefolds vs. Flats

What are the advantages of using flats? Right now I am using prefolds trifolded in a cover since I don't want to use pins and snappis seem like they would be uncomfortable? The size I have now (diaper Rite green edge) are too long though, so they're a bit bulky. If I get some flats what size would you recommend? What size for prefolds? We sre on the smallest flip rise setting, but something that would fit at least the next one up as well would be nice

poppan 06-29-2011 04:03 PM

Re: Prefolds vs. Flats

You can fold flats into exactly the size you need so they're more "one size" and in theory they are easier to wash (even if you had to handwash while traveling or something) and to keep clean and stink-free in general (since there aren't layers to hold stink--although honestly prefolds are pretty easy too).

Not sure what size as the only flats I have are ones I inherited and I have no idea what brand or size they are...

MinkaK 06-29-2011 04:07 PM

I like that they are easy to clean and fast to dry. I found as the baby gets bigger a hemp doubler or another flat is needed to help with absorbency.

hilaryisinked 06-29-2011 04:09 PM

Padfolded flats will be trimmer than trifolded prefolds. If you want to do prefolds, I'd size down since the green edges are too long. Flats can easily fold into any size so they would work. Osocozy are pretty small flats and are easy to find with free shipping.

KyAngel07 06-29-2011 06:40 PM

Thanks mamas :) Flats are sounding very tempting... any advice on brands?

happymama1 06-29-2011 07:09 PM

I like Greenmountaindiapers flats....

I think the smalls would be perfect for the small and medium setting of the flip covers....and the larges would be great for an older baby/toddler who needs extra absorbancy and is on the largest rise setting.

This is what I use, and I LOVE their flats :) You can certainly get by with just one size (the smaller ones), and fold them any way you'd like to customize where the absorbancy is most needed.

Flats are awesome because they wash so easily...are easy to get clean, you can use any detergent your baby tolerates, and they dry quickly in the dryer or on the line :)

Micheliala 06-29-2011 07:26 PM

I'm thinking GMD flats size small would be perfect in that rise setting. They will fit more trim than the prefold and are just about as absorbent. Pad folded I can still use them on my 20 month old without using a doubler. When I kitefold and pin I do need a doubler but they are still super trim. And like a pp mentioned, they are so easy to get clean. I definitely prefer my flats to my prefolds for laying in a cover. And I think I prefer my flats to my prefolds for pinning too. They are just so adjustable!

michelleml 06-29-2011 09:17 PM

If you wanted to try them out you could get the flour sack towels from target or walmart and see if you like before you invest into flats. Thats what i did and i love flats. I have about 15 stay dry flip insert that i don't use anymore sense i found the flat love

KyAngel07 06-30-2011 01:03 PM

Where do you find those? With the dish towels? How are they different than regular flats?

mariamommy 06-30-2011 02:22 PM

I like `em because they make a better pocket stuffing than microfiber, and its trimmer.

I fold in half the long way, then in thirds the long way, then fold the "snake" over in thirds and adjust the length that way to how long I need it.