Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Really Stubborn Repelling? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1236528)

Leiiki 06-30-2011 10:15 AM

Really Stubborn Repelling?

Out of nowhere, ALL my synthetics are repelling: fleece, suedecloth, athletic wicking, microfleece. I've tried scrubbing them with Dawn and rinsed them over and over and over in hot water. I even bleached them in desperation. What else can I try?

They don't absorb at all - water just beads up and rolls off.

sarahannecloud9 06-30-2011 11:18 AM

Re: Really Stubborn Repelling?

I just had this happen for the first time in 6 yrs! I didn't want to do it twice so here is what I did.

Put all our dipes in the tub, squirted 1/4 of the bottle of dawn on them (we have a garden tub and it was full!!!!). Used the shower (handheld) to spray the dawn down really well. Then just filed the tub the rest of the way normally with really hott water. When it cooled down enough for me to put my feet in there (about half of the day) I stompwashed them super well!!! Then added more HOT water and repeated. At the end of the day I cleared the drain and emptied the tub. Used the handheld sprayer to rinse quite a fiew times and let drain inbetween. Then stomped them to help get the rest of the water out. I them hand wrung each dipe till I got a full basket and dumped into the washer for a full HOT wash and kept doing that till they were all gone.

I worked all day because my dipes were totally useless!! Turns out I should have been using less detergent in the new machine. Now things are back to normal, thanks the good Lord!!

HTH hun!!

PBAki 06-30-2011 12:41 PM

That's the downfall with synthetics but it's only because the fibers (at a microscopic level) gets coated with build ups over time. Go to any local sporting goods store and see if they have "Sport-Wash". It's a detergent for synthetic fabrics that basically strip the build ups to restore to its original state. Brands like Atsko and Penguin makes them also which can be bought online. It's 100% biodegradable and allergic free so no worries about handling it.

You may also have to wash them few times if the build ups are bad. I'd keep all the synthetics separate, wash them few times but also run the washer with the Sport-Wash with nothing else in it to get rid of everything that came out from the fabrics.

Don't use too hot of a water on synthetics as it can quickly degrade the poly that it's made of. Especially with something like PUL. That damage may not be quick but anything they say around 140F/60C can cause a lot of of damage and degrade the material itself.

KimA 06-30-2011 01:17 PM

I would recommend the Penguin Sport Wash to get the build up out. I sell it on my site if you want more info on it the link is in my siggy. :)
What are you using for detergent.

kgmom 06-30-2011 02:12 PM

I also like RLR for stripping synthetics.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Leiiki 06-30-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimA
I would recommend the Penguin Sport Wash to get the build up out. I sell it on my site if you want more info on it the link is in my siggy. :)
What are you using for detergent.

I use Charlies Soap on all our laundry, and we've been doing fine for 14 months :). I use eCover occasionally on the natural fiber stuff, could it be leaving residue in the washer? This really happened all at once without warning, on all the pockets, inserts, and sleeves at the same time!

sarahannecloud9 06-30-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 13265545)
I use Charlies Soap on all our laundry, and we've been doing fine for 14 months :). I use eCover occasionally on the natural fiber stuff, could it be leaving residue in the washer? This really happened all at once without warning, on all the pockets, inserts, and sleeves at the same time!

I use softner on all of our cloths and have never had a problem with it.:headscratch: I've used softner on all other loads as long as we have been cd'ing. I really don't think that could be it?

I did however have our first buildup in 6 yeard. It was because I got a new machine and was adding too much detergent. It just happened one day. No warning. I got my machine about 3?? months ago and it took that long to happen. Didn't even know thata was possible. Maby you just had a super slow buildup?

It really stinks and I wish you the best of luck hun!!!:hugs: