Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   35-36 weeks (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237299)

Kätzchen 07-01-2011 03:36 PM

35-36 weeks

I was admitted yesterday for pre-term labor, I'm currently 35 weeks and a couple of days. My contractions are not going away, but my progress is there, just, very slow. I was given a steroid injection last night, as far as all of the testing goes, my baby is growing right on, and there are no abnormalities with her. My blood pressure is low, no infections, my body is just not wanting to stay pregnant :(

Question is: anyone around with a baby born 35-36 weeks, any input?
I'm terrified of problems that could arise around nursing /potential NICU stay... I am not going to vax my baby, and I'm hesitant of most interventions, this was a planned HBAC, that may not go as planned.

Good news is that my back up OB says a VBAC at this gestation is still highly favorable, I'm just mostly afraid of complications related to prematurity.

vetmom 07-01-2011 09:19 PM

Re: 35-36 weeks

Hi,
Hope you can hang in there just a little bit longer!

DS was a 35 weeker--spent 2 weeks in the NICU with basic growing and feeding issues and a little bit of jaundice. He's a happy, healthy, smart 2 y.o. now!

DD was a 37 weeker and we only stayed in the hosp for 24 hrs! Mild jaundice but no other issues. She's almost 6 mos old.

Both were drug-free vaginal deliveries.

According to the nurses in the NICU, baby girls mature faster than baby boys so if you are having a baby girl you may not have much of a NICU stay at all...

best of luck!!!

missdiamondbc 07-02-2011 09:43 PM

Hope everything is okay!

My ds was born at 35 wks 5 days weighing 5lbs 1oz. He was a repeat c/s due to high protein and blood pressure (my dd was 32wks due to a placental abruption...the doc was being very cautious with this pregnancy). He only had to stay in the special care nursery (no nicu at this hospital) for 1 night, the rest of the time he was with me. I was not able to nurse either of my children due to milk issues (it never came in with my first and I continued to have production issues with my second). He is 6 months now and weighs almost 18lbs which is 50th percentile on the non-adjusted chart. He has had no health issues.

purpledayz 07-03-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 13272899)
I was admitted yesterday for pre-term labor, I'm currently 35 weeks and a couple of days. My contractions are not going away, but my progress is there, just, very slow. I was given a steroid injection last night, as far as all of the testing goes, my baby is growing right on, and there are no abnormalities with her. My blood pressure is low, no infections, my body is just not wanting to stay pregnant :(

Question is: anyone around with a baby born 35-36 weeks, any input?
I'm terrified of problems that could arise around nursing /potential NICU stay... I am not going to vax my baby, and I'm hesitant of most interventions, this was a planned HBAC, that may not go as planned.

Good news is that my back up OB says a VBAC at this gestation is still highly favorable, I'm just mostly afraid of complications related to prematurity.

With DS the doctors said vaginal birth was better then a c/s. It helps squeeze the extra fluid out of their lungs so they have an easier time breathing.

You may want to talk about BF with your midwife or an outside LC. The nurses at our NICU were all about BM but were pretty clueless about actually getting it from the boob. DS didn't even want a bottle so he was an odd case.

If you need a pump try to get it rented before you are discharged. Some insurances will cover the monthly cost if you get it before leaving the hospital.

:hugs: You are almost in the 36 week normal birth time. Odds are everything is going to be fine.

mrsmusic 07-03-2011 12:54 PM

My babies were coming home from the NICU then, so I think the odds are in your favor. :)

jillybeans 07-03-2011 03:23 PM

my dd was born at 35+4. We too don't vax, and refused most interventions. She had severe RDS at birth, so YAY for you getting steroid shots! She was in the NICU for 14 days, on the vent for 3, CPAP for 5, nasal cannula for 4 and then just was learning to eat. It was hard, I won't lie. But looking back it could have been a lot worse. She was a GREAT weight, and that really worked in her favor. I was also told that how sick she was is extremely rare for 35-36 weekers.
As for breastfeeding, early babies typically have a lot more problems. Just have patience and know you WILL get it! If she does end up in the NICU, take some fenugreek right off the bat and PUMP PUMP PUMP! My little girl ONLY ever got mama milk while in the NICU and it made me feel so much better.

Good luck mama!

Truckerswife 07-03-2011 03:40 PM

my DD was 35 weeks she was 5.5 and 17 inches she spent no time in the nursery she nursed good and had no problem breathing she did have a hard time getting warm so the nurses had me hold her naked in my chest and covered us in warmed blankets after a couple hours of this she was fine she did spend a couple days in the hospital being treated for jaundice but than so did my DS and he was 38.5 weeks after we were home a nurse from the health department came 2x a week to weigh her she gained well and now is a happy healthy 10 month old

twinmomstl 07-03-2011 08:13 PM

My sons were born at 35 weeks exactly and they spent 7 and 10 days in the NICU. They had a little bit of breathing problems at first but were taken off oxygen by day 2. They were basically "feeder/growers". One had a few episodes of apnea that dropped his heart rate which earned him the extra few days. Don't worry too much the steroid shots should help as I never got those. Good luck mama!

b bright 07-04-2011 12:28 PM

I had my twins at 34w 3d and at 4lbs 1oz and 5lbs 3oz, both boys. It was due to severe pre-eclampsia. I had to have a c- section because one of them was blocking the exit with his butt..lol. Any who, they both were only on cpap for the first couple of hours. After that they were just feeders/growers and a bit of jaundice. My younger/smaller one Riley had some apnea issues and earned himself 5 extra days on an apnea watch. It was the hardest thing to do to leave him in there by himself.... :( but, no severe issues ever came about. They are healthy as a horse now and you would never know they were early!

Len27 07-04-2011 01:18 PM

I had my daughter at 36w3d and she was absolutely fine, no complications. We were sent home that night actually (gotta love those midwives). She was 7lbs 8oz, which was *quite* a bit bigger than anyone expected her to be at that age.
The birth went absolutely great- few hiccups after the fact- she was very, very sleepy and ended up quite jaundiced and she lost too much weight very fast- we had a hard time waking her and feeding, but the midwives put the fear of god in me re. potentially having to supplement or bring her back in, so I was absolutely militant about feeding, laying the sun, whatever we had to do at home, and it worked. She was also a bit skinny and furry, but I think that's to be expected with the slightly pre-term babes. I called her my little moth, I don't think she lost the 'fur' on her ears until she was almost a year old, lol. She's going to be 3 on october and you'd never know she was an early bird. My friend had her little guy at 35.5 weeks and while he was in the NICU for a few days at least, he just turned three and you would never know he showed up early either. I know they had some feeding struggles and he was tube-fed for a while in the NICU, but after that it was all fine.

Wishing you all the best- hope your little bean gives you another week at least:).