Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you let your toddlers get dirty/jump in puddles? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1238387)

MamaNotes 07-03-2011 11:29 PM

Do you let your toddlers get dirty/jump in puddles?

I have two boys. My toddler (and oldest) is 2 years and 4 months. Not that I'm counting and putting off saying "2 and a half years" as long as possible. ;)

He is a BOY. He loves to get dirty, play in water, play in mud. And, I let him.

On our walk the other day, in clean shorts and shirt and socks and sneakers, he started jumping in puddles. I thought for a second about stopping him. He was getting his clean shoes all dirty and wet and I had just changed him into clean clothes after nap.

But I didn't stop him. Instead I just let him play. He played in these puddles of water for 20 minutes. After we kept walking. He was SO happy!!

This got me thinking, do you let your kids jump in puddles, even if they're not wearing "puddle jumping" clothes? I was glad that I allowed myself to let go of this and let him have fun.

Don't you think that kids should be kids? They should play as they wish, explore nature and get dirty. Aren't you glad shoes are just shoes and clothes can always be washed?!

Me too. :)

MW69842 07-03-2011 11:47 PM

Yes, I let my daughter play in puddles, dirt...whatever. She's having fun and isn't harming anything or anyone, so why not?

She ran through and stomped in a whole bunch of puddles last week...her dress and underwear were soaked. She sure had fun though. ;)

luvsviola 07-04-2011 12:06 AM

Depends on the day, my mood, and what she is wearing. We only have one pair of sneakers right now, so she is not allowed to get them wet.

But if she is in crocs, jump away.

emilykaysmommy 07-04-2011 12:14 AM

Re: Do you let your toddlers get dirty/jump in puddles?

Not in super nice clothing but every day clothes, heck yeah! She is a total tomboy. Finds worms, slugs, frogs and bugs and carries them around. Trying to keep her clean would be a full time job!

willownz 07-04-2011 12:15 AM

Yes of course. I also let my baby play outside in bowls of water the other day.

seacat 07-04-2011 12:20 AM

Absolutely. My golden retriever has dug this hole for the summertime to stay cool, my son's favorite thing is to join him. I don't spend a ton of money on his clothes because he's one and a half and should be able to be a kid without me worrying whether or not he's going to wreck his clothes. He's got plenty of time to be a civilized person - they are only young once.

Dmpmercury 07-04-2011 12:50 AM

I don't mind them getting dirty but for puddles it depends. If it is a big puddle/marsh they can play in and it was impromptu I would probably strip my ds down to his undies if I had a spare pair with me. He loves playing in water but he wants to strip his clothes off right away if they are wet. If we are on a trail then I worry he would get uncomfortable and we couldn't make it home. Puddle jumping drives me a little crazy and I don't usually let them jump in puddles. I do let them get dirty and play out in the rain and dirt and with bugs and water but we avoid puddles.

pgkcb13 07-04-2011 01:27 AM

I do, though I've had to fight an urge to say no (like you mentioned) a couple times. It's always worth it :)

The only time I say no is if we're on our way somewhere where I need her to be clean/dry (which, IMHO, does not include the grocery store :giggle:)

I also still keep spare clothes in the car for her just in case a wet/dirty/muddy aka exciting opportunity presents itself!

jbug_4 07-04-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 13285639)
Depends on the day, my mood, and what she is wearing. We only have one pair of sneakers right now, so she is not allowed to get them wet.

But if she is in crocs, jump away.

This is me. Depends on what we need to do that day, what she is wearing and of course how lazy or frustrated i am feeling. And also now that I have a baby it happens a lot less. When it was just one she got to do a whole lot more. Its just a little harder to take care of the aftermath with a baby. When he gets older and they can do it together it will probably happen a lot more.

hilaryisinked 07-04-2011 08:00 AM

Definitely. I will take her clothes off though if she is in something nice. Otherwise, whatever, we have a washing machine.