Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   saving money in Hawaii? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239918)

corinne76 07-06-2011 10:48 PM

saving money in Hawaii?

Yes that is a question. Is it possible?
We desperately need help. We've been spending way too much .

Mommy_Johnson2011 07-08-2011 01:32 AM

Re: saving money in Hawaii?

what is your main issue in your budget? food? utilities? fun? We have been having to cut back lately to prepare for the baby to be here in September. Its not like we totally save on everything but if I know specifically where you are spending too much money, I miiiight be able to help!

808mamaof3 07-08-2011 01:48 AM

Gah..cost of living here is tough. So far the tricks we have are couponing (although no one doubles coupons here), shopping grocery sales or farmers market, cutting cable, gas at costco, buying baby goods on craigslist, cut subscriptions (newspapers, etc), trade services (hair cuts, veggie garden, babysitting, etc. I'll think about ,ore, but thats our shortlist. :hugs:

*KaiMom* 07-08-2011 01:54 AM

When we lived there we:
Line dried ALL the time-even when it rained LOL
Drove as little as possible
Did free activities-beach, hiking, parks, playdates, library etc
Coupons
Farmers markets
Little to no meat meals
No cable
No AC
Lived in a VERY small house-600 square feet for four people
Very little eating out
No babysitters/date nights

It was the best 8 years of my life!!!!!!

ittybittycoconuts 07-09-2011 05:36 PM

We need a free/kama'aina discount activity thread! Other than that Ive shared my recent discoveries in the thrifty thread. Splitting stuff from Costco or Sams with someone has always heped me in the past. We cant go through the 6 romaine hearts, mini sweet peppers or baby carrots befor they go bad but theyre so much cheaper there!

ittybittycoconuts 07-09-2011 05:38 PM

A babysitting swap wouldnt be a bad idea....if anyone is interested.

reymurph 05-10-2012 06:54 AM

Are there any Coupon Swapping groups for Hawaii?? I always have a ton of coupons but over half I have no use for (dog food, brands that we don't use, etc).

ittybittycoconuts 05-10-2012 12:25 PM

yes theres one on FB its shopping with aloha she has a website also with all the coupon policys and such.

kannondicarpo 05-10-2012 12:28 PM

Moving back in 18 days. I'll be :popcorn:.

ittybittycoconuts 05-10-2012 12:49 PM

After being here almost 1.5 years
Have both Costco and SAMs. I shop both and each has cheaper or better items. 75% of everything comes from these 2.
Times sale items are usually the cheapest(I shop ads)
Don Quixote has a farmers market section with local produce that's well priced everyday.
Local Swap meet by the mall has a farmers market and fish market shop around between the booths.
Walmart and target are also very competively priced. They are both expanding their refer sections. The fresh isn't rock bottom but pretty competitive and convenient.