Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need advice on next diapers to buy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241174)

lagataverde 07-09-2011 10:32 AM

Need advice on next diapers to buy

We are going out of town in a couple weeks and will not have access to a washer. I will be a dozen changes short before we can get a load done, so I need to figure out what to buy to bolster my stash. We are anti-disposable, so we would rather spend a little more money to buy more cloth.

The problem is, I feel as overwhelmed as when I was originally looking into CDing. I ended up just buying 22 Fuzzibunz OS because I figured I couldn't go wrong with "top of the line."

We are mostly happy with the FB, except for overnights. They leak every night, without fail... and we co-sleep. Just because I have come to accept getting peed on every night doesn't mean I don't want it to stop.

Oh, and I want some super cute prints...

We can only afford $60. Rather than spend the money on diapers that will sit in a dresser as emergency back ups, I would like to supplement what I have and solve this overnight problem.

My son is 4.5 months and weighs 20 pounds. He has big chunky legs. He floods his diapers at night and poops in more than half of them during the day.

I was thinking hemp pre-folds with snappis would be good. How many covers are realistic for getting through a day/night? Any better recommendations?

justineybean 07-09-2011 10:41 AM

Re: Need advice on next diapers to buy

I think PFs are your best bet! I snappi PFs also, usually a jelly roll fold because that seems to hold everything in pretty well, but sometimes we still end up with poo on the cover since DD is EBF. She also poos a lot during the day but I would feel okay with maybe 3 covers for a day's worth of diapers...? I like the Econobums and they are pretty inexpensive!

KimA 07-09-2011 11:54 AM

The hemp pfs should hold him! You can get a couple of the hemp doublers for night time just to be sure. I am a huge fan of Thirsties hemp and covers. I think that the sized covers may work better for you than the Duos.

rkw 07-09-2011 12:11 PM

I have a combination stash and love econobum prefolds and covers. Econobums are very affordable and work great. I even use the extra recieving blankets pad folded in an econobum cover with a fleece liner and have no issues. An econobum cover with a hemp babies insert and a fleece liner in an econobum cover work on my 22 month old son at night. Normally we do a bgos 3.0 with both mf inserts and a hemp babies insert on the bottom at night.

lagataverde 07-09-2011 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone! This has me on the right track I think. The econobum look like they will work to come in under budget if I can't get used ones before the trip. I'm feeling more confident about the prefolds. Hopefully I can pick up some hemp ones.

Does anyone have sizing recommendations? I was thinking the regular or premium would work, but he is a thick boy and I have seen comments about prefolds being too narrow. Is it possible for them to be too big?

KimA 07-09-2011 02:22 PM

You can always fold down a too big pf, they might be bulky though.
The premium isn't too much bigger than the regular so I would go with those. :)

7arrows4God 07-09-2011 02:26 PM

See, I like easy and love fitteds and not leakage, especially on trips. Love the GM's and there are cheap used ones out there now.