Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Should my prewash be cold or hot? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241698)

uofmrocky 07-10-2011 11:52 AM

Should my prewash be cold or hot?

I am currently using thirsties pre-was and the super wash. Should i be doing my diapers prewash in cold or hot water?

alaskamum 07-10-2011 12:01 PM

Re: Should my prewash be cold or hot?

You will get a lot of different opinions on this. I do my first wash on warm, second wash on hot.
If I had any other dirty laundry (even just towels) I would not bother with a cold wash. When I am washing dishes, I don't soak or rinse them in cold water, I use warm or hot.
You may have to experiment; I have had better success using a warm first wash then when I was doing a cold first wash.
The argument is that cold water won't set stains, but I have not had any stains since I started using warm water.
I researched the cost difference between using warm or cold water, it was not much difference. I forget what it was but it was so small that I decided it was worth giving a try.

Talia01 07-10-2011 12:10 PM

as pp poster stated you will get many different opinions:goodvibes:

I do a cold quick wash first to prevent stains, but I haven't tried doing warm or hot quick wash first. For the rest of our laundry everything gets washed in cold b/c it is cheaper :blush:
dipes get: cold quick wash, heavy hot wash with extra rinse

happymama1 07-10-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talia01 (Post 13326732)
as pp poster stated you will get many different opinions:goodvibes:

I do a cold quick wash first to prevent stains, but I haven't tried doing warm or hot quick wash first. For the rest of our laundry everything gets washed in cold b/c it is cheaper :blush:
dipes get: cold quick wash, heavy hot wash with extra rinse

this is exactly what I would say...except that I do wash dishrags, dish towels and regular washcloths and towels (all of mine are white) on hot, with a little bit of bleach.

Selene 07-10-2011 01:27 PM

Is the Thirsties prewash an enzyme based cleaner? If so, I would suggest a cold prewash because hot or warm can damage the enzymes and make your prewash not work as well.
I do a cold prewash on Delicate cycle in my FL (delicate adds more water) with some Bacout (an enzyme based cleaner). I figure it is less likely to set stains and also better energy wise. I follow up with a super long and hot "Whites" wash. Works for us, just play around and see whay seems to work best for you since as pp mentioned, everyone kinda has a different opnion on this:thumbsup:

Micheliala 07-10-2011 01:31 PM

I used to always use a cold prewash until someone suggested using warm or hot. I have found that I don't need as much washing if I do warm or hot in the prewash. They almost smell clean just from the warm prewash but never did with the cold. :goodvibes:

VitaW 07-10-2011 01:31 PM

Yes you will need to experiment. I have hard water and a front loader. For some reason a hot wash/rinse before my regular hot wash works best in my circumstances. I follow this with a cold rinse. It's keeps the stink away and I am happy to have found a solution that works for me.

I think general across the board recommendation is cold rinse/hot wash/cold rinse.

Micheliala 07-10-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaW (Post 13327154)
Yes you will need to experiment. I have hard water and a front loader. For some reason a hot wash/rinse before my regular hot wash works best in my circumstances. I follow this with a cold rinse. It's keeps the stink away and I am happy to have found a solution that works for me.

I think general across the board recommendation is cold rinse/hot wash/cold rinse.

interesting to note that I have hard water too and need the same routine.