Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Request for Prayer / Updates (
-   -   Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life) (

Whits01 07-11-2011 09:01 PM

Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
This post is a little after the fact, but I'd like to request prayers in thanksgiving for miracles and for continued healing of my 2 yr old DD, Annalisse. This is the first time I've gotten all of this out, so bear with me please. This might be difficult to read, but know that she is acting completely normal and it doesn't appear there will be any lasting effects.

Last Thursday morning, I was at my parents' house to pick up my DD after spending a couple days with them. My mom was under their deck pulling out a piece of lattice to block off the "doorway" off the deck. I was on the deck swinging with Annalisse when she decided she wanted to go see my mom, so she went into the yard. Annalisse is fast, fearless, and loves animals; and my mom's horses were up in the front pasture. I started heading down the steps to get her when she took off under the wood fence and walked up to the miniature pony, petted her on the nose, and laughed when Cutie nuzzled her face. I had to go around to the gate to get Annalisse, and in the meantime she walked up to Storm, one of the full-sized horses, and reached up to pet him on his front right flank. He didn't know she was there, and her touch startled him, which made him jump and kick.
His kick caught Annalisse in the head and she went down. I screamed and ran for her, but my legs gave out from underneath me and I fell and rolled down the slight incline. I got to Annalisse a few seconds later and she wasn't moving or breathing. I picked her up, calling her name, and she came to, moaning. Her eyelids were fluttery and her lips were colorless. I thought for sure we would lose her. My mom ran into the house and called 911. Annalisse kept trying to go to sleep, but I kept her awake until the ambulance got there. She was conscious and crying. The 911 operator asked if she could walk, so mom set her down on the floor, and she took a couple steps. Mom then took Annalisse outside to wait for the ambulance and she vomited all down her back. When the ambulance got there, they strapped her to a miniature stretcher and put a neck brace on her. She kept trying to unvelcro the neck brace, which the EMTs said was a very good sign. They met Vanderbilt's LifeFlight helicopter and my dad drove us to the Children's Hospital. I was terrified the entire hour drive that she would pass away on the flight and I wouldn't be there with her.
Her helicopter arrived about 10 minutes before we did and we met a social worker in the ER who walked us back to the trauma room where they were working on Annalisse. I saw her shirt cut off of her and laying on the floor. They took her to get a CT scan and I was able to go with her. She had been intubated with a breathing tube because she had vomited on the flight and it was standard procedure. It was so hard to see her like that, strapped to the stretcher, neck brace and breathing tube. After her CT scan, the radiologist came out and told me that her brain looked good, but that she had a small fracture. I turned to the social worked and asked "That means she's going to live, right?" She gave a little laugh of relief and told me "yes."
They gave Annalisse a room upstairs in the PCCU, the Pediatric Critical Care Unit so they could monitor her vitals. The dr told us the fracture was very close to a major artery and they wanted to do another CT scan in 4-6 hours to make sure there wasn't any swelling or bleeding. That was a rough wait because they had to keep the breathing tube in, which meant they had to keep her sedated because every time she woke up she woke up in a panic and tried to take it out. The second scan looked virtually identical to the first, so that was another huge milestone. Her breathing tube was out by the next time I saw her and they were allowing her to wake up on her own. They came in to to remove her neck brace and talk to her to gauge her responses. The first thing she said was "Purple."
Annalisse woke up, stayed in PCCU overnight so they could continue to check her vitals and eye dilation. Doctors and nurses kept coming in to check on her, and all commented on how well she was doing. We were finally released around 4 pm on Friday and she slept almost the whole hour car ride home. The entire time we were in the hospital, she was quiet, subdued, mumbling, and lethargic. We took her to my parents' house, since we still had stuff there we needed to take home, and they wanted to spend more time with her. I brought her inside, changed her diaper, asked her if she wanted to brush her teeth and she hollered "YES!" Then I gave her a bath (you always feel better after you're clean) And filled the tub with lots of Mr. Bubble. My mom got home and I called for her to come see Annalisse, who shouted "HI, GAMMIE!" as soon as she saw her. When I put her PJs on her, the first thing she did was get up and start jumping on the bed. Their kitten walked in the room and Annalisse laughed, jumped down, and chased him down the hall. She is acting just like she did before the accident, the only difference is my reaction to her. She trips and I just about jump out of my skin. She jumps around in circles and my heart stops.
The only difficulty we're dealing with now is her sleep pattern. Because of her brain injury and the sedation medications she was on, her sleep cycle is messed up. She sometimes doesn't want to sleep, wakes up int he middle of the night and doesn't want to go to sleep, took a nap from 6pm - 8 pm last night and then was up until midnight.
But I am fine with that. I am so grateful that she is able to wake up!! She was indulged before, but now I'm afraid I won't ever be able to tell her "No" again.

Here's my prayer request - PLEASE thank God for miracles and guardian angels, and please pray for a full and speedy recovery for Annalisse's skull fracture. I pray multiple times a day that she continues to do well and nothing happens to jar her currently fragile condition. I feel like I need to walk on eggshells to keep her safe.
Also, please pray for me. This has been extremely stressful, traumatic and difficult, and my heart hurts. I keep reliving the pain and fear I felt Thursday morning. I keep seeing her collapse. I keep seeing her face after the accident.

Thank you!!

sbdf13 07-11-2011 09:19 PM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing
omg how scary I'm glad she is ok someone was deff looking over her

Whits01 07-11-2011 11:14 PM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
We're so glad she's ok too!

JessieKaitlin 07-12-2011 12:22 AM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
I'm so glad she's okay!

Whits01 07-12-2011 05:24 PM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
Thanks! I feel blessed every time I see her!

Keropisunshine23 07-13-2011 12:45 AM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
Prayers for her, mama :hugs:

Fleece Be With You 07-13-2011 09:23 PM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
What a miracle so glad she's ok mama! Praying you can get some rest and that she continues to recover as well as she has so far!

PailPowder 07-14-2011 09:58 PM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
Oh poor baby and poor Mom!!! I know how you feel though, truly. My son fell down our basement stairs when he was 3 and a half. He had a skull fracture and bleeding in the brain (epidural hematoma). We spent 4 days in the PICU.Thankfully his bleed also stayed the "same"and surgery was not needed. But I freaked EVERY time he fell or hit his head after that. 3 years later he is doing great though!! For the first few months after the accident he was very sensitive to loud noises,which I was told is completely normal. We were worried about long lasting effects, and they said they would know more once he started school. He just completed kindergarten, and is struggling, but he also has ADHD which could be the reason, so we'll never really know.
I am so glad she is feeling better!! Kids are so resilient. I will keep you guys in my thoughts. (((hugs)))

shalin 07-14-2011 10:08 PM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
I'm so sorry sweetie, I'm crying for you right now. I'm sure everything will turn out ok and my prayers are with you! Hugs

Lu&Ce'sMommy 07-14-2011 10:21 PM

Re: Thanksgiving for miracles and continued healing (The worst day of my life)
This made me cry but I'm glad there was a good ending to this story. I can understand being scared something else could happen.

Glad you have your angel with you :hugs:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.