Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Water birth- Why you did/Why you won't (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243493)

Agla 07-13-2011 11:39 AM

Water birth- Why you did/Why you won't

I love laboring in watering and my most recent kiddo was born in the water. Sometimes when I mention it people look at me like I'm nuts.

Just wondering:
If you labored and/or delivered in water, how did you make that decision?

If you have no desire to try laboring/birthing in water, how did you come to that decision?

lecialefty 07-13-2011 01:01 PM

Re: Water birth- Why you did/Why you won't

Water birth is something I am considering for my new one. I didn't know about it with dd and the two hospitals don't offer it anyway, not even laboring in water I think. So I'm considering home birth + water birth, if I can get in with the one midwife in my area...

So :popcorn: for responses.

smashncakes 07-13-2011 01:09 PM

I really really want to, but can't...our hospital doesn't have room for birth tubs (that's their reasoning anyway), technically I can stand in the tiny shower in my room if I want, but its really small & uncomfortable, I tried it with both of my other deliveries. NO hospitals near us have the stuff to do a waterbirth. And midwife legislation in our state just flat out sucks, so no homebirth here with a midwife :(

mrspnut82 07-13-2011 01:17 PM

I wanted one. I would have to pay for a homebirth to get it though. The birthing center in the hospital I'm going to has tubs to labor in but not birth in. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy laboring in it though. It just seems to help with the pain from what I've seen in videos and so peaceful for the babies.

mamabear25 07-13-2011 01:21 PM

I had planned a home water birth with a midwife for our Jan. babe, but he came too quickly and we couldn't get the tub filled up in time. I really wanted to labor/deliver in water because I have heard about how water does wonders for the pain of contractions.

But I ended up doing just fine on dry land. However, I'm still going to try for it with our next baby when the time comes. Now I know to have DH start filling up as soon as I feel that first twinge of pain-lol.

Agla 07-13-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrspnut82 (Post 13348175)
I wanted one. I would have to pay for a homebirth to get it though. The birthing center in the hospital I'm going to has tubs to labor in but not birth in. Hopefully I will be able to enjoy laboring in it though. It just seems to help with the pain from what I've seen in videos and so peaceful for the babies.

When I took the tour and visited the tub the nurse told me that they had many people labor in the tub but not deliver. He was hoping that I would try to deliver in the tub. Once I was in the tub there was no getting me out so that is how ds was born in the tub.

At home I labored in the tub but got out to push. Just that change made things move along quickly so I found the tub to be great in either situation.

There were no labor tubs available when I gave birth to dd. So stayed home and labored in the bathtub. That was harder because I had to actually leave my house after I was so relaxed.

1blessedmama 07-13-2011 01:26 PM

I never had any desire for a water birth. With my last one though (another unassisted homebirth) I labored off and on in the tub...it was a long labor (AFTER being complete, think he was asynclictic and had a huge head anyway) and it was just a nice change. I did end up delivering in the bathtub! Now I can totally see why people choose it. I still prefer delivering on "dry land", though. I just feel like I have more control over what I'm doing that way.

mrspnut82 07-13-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agla (Post 13348224)
When I took the tour and visited the tub the nurse told me that they had many people labor in the tub but not deliver. He was hoping that I would try to deliver in the tub. Once I was in the tub there was no getting me out so that is how ds was born in the tub.

At home I labored in the tub but got out to push. Just that change made things move along quickly so I found the tub to be great in either situation.

There were no labor tubs available when I gave birth to dd. So stayed home and labored in the bathtub. That was harder because I had to actually leave my house after I was so relaxed.

Ya I've heard of women having an "oopsie" in the tubs. I'd totally do it but then I'd be afraid that they wouldn't know what the heck to do and the baby would suffer because of it somehow.

Macyllehub 07-13-2011 02:08 PM

Of the two times I had the option to birth in water - I did not the first time, I did the second time, I will NOT birth in water again.

I have transitioned in water with both, the first time I had the option to birth in the water, I was very clear I wanted to until the last minute. I got out, birthed on a stool, loved it.

With our last one, again I transitioned in the water, but since I swore I wanted to birth in water, I stayed. I gave birth in a corner jucuzzi style tub that my husband and I were in. I HATED pushing in there. I felt slippery and couldn't seem to feel anything to bare down against despite handles. It made me panic but it was over quick enough to not stop and move. I birthed my placenta in water as well and didn't move for about 25 minutes after that. I was glad to have the warmth after, I loved laboring it in, but I wont ever birth in water again.

This time.. I'm absolutely planning on birthing on a stool again, I LOVED it!!!!

bezark 07-13-2011 07:54 PM

DS was born in the water, and it was okay, but I'm not sure if I'll do it again with the next one. It really did help with the contractions, and while I don't have anything to compare to, I do believe it helped me to not tear very badly at all.

However, it was HOT. I was sweating before I got in, but I was boiling in the water.
It was a commercially made bitrthing tub, but it wasn't deep enough and the handles were totally backward. I either had to turn my wrists in an uncomfortable position or slip all over the place while my body pushed. I think I really would have preferred a deep inflatable tub that I could comfortably lean over.
I had to get out as soon as DS came out. His cord was really short (his head only reached the bottom of my rib cage) and the tub was full of blood so the MW wanted to make sure everything was okay.
I also didn't like that DH had to be so far away from me. I didn't want him in the tub, but the only comfortable position for me was in the back corner where he couldn't reach me to comfort me, replace my cold rag, etc. The closest he got to me was when he leaned way over to catch DS as he popped out. Again, I really think that would have been much better in an inflatable pool.

I'm going to request the same room with the tub again this time, but I'm not going to make it a point to birth in the tub. If that's what I decide I want in the moment, fine, but otherwise I think I'll stick to the shower and dry land.