Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Struggles & Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   M/C?? Food poisoning (children mentioned) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244689)

SeaChellsRun 07-15-2011 08:55 AM

M/C?? Food poisoning (children mentioned)

Two nights ago I was violently sick a dozen times, everything ached and I was away from home. DD had been vomiting two nights before so I figured that we both got food poisoning just took a little longer to get to me. Perhaps I still did and that may be causing an mc? Since I couldn't keep anything down I have been dehydrated and lost 8lbs. I'm only 150lbs so don't have the extra weight to drop like that especially during pregnancy.

I've been reading blogs, websites and postings here but I can't find out what the bleeding will look like. I woke in the middle of the night last night to find heavy bleeding, filled a light mama cloth, bright red. It's more watery than AF and the cramping is different. I read a post that said they passed a tennis ball sized clot. Does heavy bleeding mean for sure m/c or is there supposed to be clotting?

It's just so upsetting that this may be happening because of something I ate :cry:

*LizziesLoops* 07-15-2011 09:07 AM

Re: M/C?? Food poisoning (children mentioned)

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had a MC back in March. I bled 3 nights in a row but only spotted during the day. The first night was only bleeding and a couple of very small clots...normal for a period for me. The second and 3rd night however I passed large clots...some larger than a tennis ball. From what I understand, large clots are a definite sign of a miscarriage. My CNM (here we can only use "medives" who work under an OBGYN and birth in a hospital) told me to come in if I was filling/overflowing a pad within an hour and continue bleeding beyond that. So I would suggest checking with your Dr. or MW and see what they recommend. They can do an ultrasound to check on the baby and combat the dehydration. Again, I'm so sorry and I hope everything's ok. Some women do bleed during pregnancy but you really need to check in with your Dr. or MW and get checked out and see what's going on.

SeaChellsRun 07-15-2011 10:38 AM

I was crying after I posted this and dd brought me her baby doll to cheer me up :cry:

I asked midwife about D&C and she said it's very harmful. So does that mean I just let it take its natural course? I don't need to get checked out after? Makes me feel like there's something wrong with me

mamacassola 07-15-2011 02:05 PM

It's really pretty rare for food poisoning to cause a m/c. PLEASE don't blame yourself. for any of this. for all of my losses, I had pretty heavy bleeding. Sometimes HUGE clots, sometimes not really. I also did have fairly heavy bleeding with my DS2, I only knew that was different because the bleeding stopped again within a day or two. Can you get an U/S to confirm? It's always better to let your body do the work on it's own, but that's really not always possible (either physically or emotionally) and your care provider has the responsibility to share all viable options with you. Really, having a m/c is very common, it does not mean a THING is wrong with you, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. Get the support you need and make sure to ask your provider lots of questions...get the answers you need.

:hugs: mama!

SeaChellsRun 07-15-2011 02:13 PM

Assuming u/s is an ultra sound? I would have been going to my first midwife appointment in two weeks. We don't have the money to go in for a u/s unless it's an emergency and then I'm sure we could borrow from family.

Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it. Besides dh I don't have anyone to talk to, everyone is either pregnant, ttc and those that aren't I know will be insensitive.

mamacassola 07-15-2011 03:00 PM

:hugs:

wordmama 07-15-2011 04:09 PM

:hugs: How far along are you mama? I've had several early losses and most of them were like a very painful, heavy period. Anything past say eight weeks and I've found it feels like labour until the baby passes.

From what you've described, it could be the stress of your illness irritating your uterus and cervix. Rest, drink lots, and take your multivitamin. Hopefully it's just a subchronic bleed and nothing serious.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Pampered Mama 07-15-2011 04:53 PM

Hugs, mama, sounds like you are not very far along? If you are less than 6 weeks, it is unlikely you will see anyting on u/s anyhow- Can you take a pg test tomorrow morning with first morning urine, then another the next day with FMU? That could help you determine if you are m/c or not- if the line gets lighter.

You say the bleeding is only filling a light MC- I wouldn't worry about the amount yet. It is thinner than AF blood- when I had my early (5wk) mc's, I would say it was like a heavy AF- the blood wasn't thinner. I had lots of clotting- but they were small clots, nothing bigger than a quarter. It can also be very normal to have cramping in early pg that is not related to m/c.

I would definately take it easy for a few days, limit your activity, and increase your fluids, keep taking your vitamins- it really is just a waiting game, which sucks- we always want to know!

Vegan Princess 07-15-2011 10:02 PM

Could you go to the emergency room and have them do an u/s? Would that be covered? It really would help to know if your baby is ok if you truly are having a miscarriage! I am hoping all is still well in there for you!!!!

Cindy

ahenson 07-15-2011 10:09 PM

When I MCd at about seven weeks, it was like a very hard, heavy period with lots of big clots. I don't remember how long it lasted, but we had just been in to the midwife the week before for an early sonogram and could see the sac but no heartbeat yet. The u/s after I MCd showed that everything had passed and was clear so I didn't need a D&C. Hopefully it is just spotting and nothing to worry about. *Hugs*