Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Parenting Talk (
-   -   For Vax-free or selective vax Mommas... (

jcgreenmama 07-16-2011 12:21 PM

For Vax-free or selective vax Mommas...
When we interviewed peds we explained that we were looking to delay/selectively vaccinate. Our Doc was ok with that, asked when we thought we'd start them, and we said maybe 2. Fast forward and DS is 16 months old, at his 15 month checkup the ped. was asking (for a memory refresher) when we were thinking about doing the vax's. We talked a little bit about it and I know we've got about 8 months until the "time" but I am starting to look more into what vax's, if any, we would consider. To be honest getting any of them leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach, but at the same time I can see the benefit of a couple of them, assuming my child isn't one that has a reaction. We do travel at least annually out of the country, which is weighing on my decision as he will likely be exposed to some things he wouldn't otherwise b/c of this. I know for sure that we are opting out of several (varicella, rota, Hib, Prevnar, HepB, etc) but was wondering how you all made the decisions to either choose the selective vax's you did, or not to do them at all. And, how did you bring it up with your Dr. and did he/she have any objections? we go back in a couple months and I have gotten several of books to read on the subject (of vaccines as well as treating the diseases they are meant to prevent) but I want to go in as well-informed and armed as possible so that we can begin the dialogue and have 6 months to work out whatever the decision is. We really love our pediatrician, and he has been incredibly supportive so far, so I don't want to burn any bridges with him unnecessarily... but I also want to do what is right for our family. Thanks!

Carolyn528 07-16-2011 12:42 PM

We have opted out of everything except tetanus. When they were old enough to run free in the backyard w/o mom, that's when they got tetanus shots.

As far as traveling abroad, do you mind if I ask to where? That makes a huge difference. IMO, if you will be staying in developed countries, I would choose to not vac. If you are traveling to areas where these diseases are prevalent, then I would give the vaccines because in this circumstance, the chance of contracting something outweighs the cons of giving the vaccines.

Carolyn528 07-16-2011 12:53 PM

Oh and about the Ped, I have always been honest with them. I listen to what they have to say and then thank them for the information. I say we will consider it. Most often, that is sufficient. If not, I start shopping for a new Ped. Remember that doctors provide a service and are paid for that service. This is YOUR child to be raised and cared for YOUR way.

The Ped we have now is super great (we've moved too much, therefore had many peds!) and I can really talk to her. Her stance is, I want you to vac them, but you have to do it in a way and timeframe that works for your family.

jcgreenmama 07-16-2011 12:54 PM

Re: For Vax-free or selective vax Mommas...
We travel everywhere really, I was actually booked for a trip to India when I got preggo with DS & had to cancel the trip, but we've been on a temporary hiatus from developing nations as the LO is way too little still. As we take him to those places we will do a risk assessment for that specific country to see if something like polio, which we aren't going to get otherwise, may be a concern. One of my concerns, which I should've mentioned in the initial post, is we currently have a filed exemption for vaccines with childcare... but I have heard rumors that if you allow your child even 1 vaccine that it cancels out your exemption & you will be required to fully vax your kids for school. I suppose that's only if you tell them, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Of course our state only offers religious or medical exemptions so I suppose anything is possible.

myfrugalfunlife 07-16-2011 01:28 PM

Re: For Vax-free or selective vax Mommas...
We pretty much followed Dr. Sears schedule right from ds birth. The only thing that we switched up was the MMR-it's not made separately anymore, so we waited till third year checkup. We also haven't done the chix pox yet-was hoping ds would catch them naturally, but no luck :banghead: We'll get that one for his 4th year checkup.

We ended up switching pediatricians, because our old one was giving me a lot of grief over our decisions to select/delay. I found a new one who's been very cool about our choice, though some of the nurses have made annoying comments ugh!

CherryPie 07-16-2011 01:29 PM

Re: For Vax-free or selective vax Mommas...
I've found going in with a schedule that you plan on doing and letting them keep that in your LO's chart makes things easier on everyone. I do let them know that I may change somethings though but that is my loose plan.

bluedaisyma 07-16-2011 01:42 PM

Re: For Vax-free or selective vax Mommas...
with my older kids' ped, they know we don't vax, period. The 2 original docs never asked anything, but we always seem to get stuck with the new docs who ask every time, "so we aren't vaxing?" I say no and then they say ok, but if you ever want to (and then proceed to rec the kids getting the measles one). I looked at one son's chart the other day and it had the "refused vax" checked, NOT the religious exemption one even though that's our reason :headbang:
The toddler goes to a family practice and she just says, "no vaxes, right?". So I haven't gotten any troubles from either practice (I have had problems in the past with others though).

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.