Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Share your routine, please! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245428)

AniBee 07-16-2011 06:42 PM

Share your routine, please!

I'm in desperate need of a routine that works well for myself, my 3 year old DS & 9 month old DS. Most days are absolute chaos & I look around at the end of the day & feel like I accomplished NOTHING. Some of this is due to DS2 being a high needs baby & demanding a lot of attention, but without a routine I think our house just falls apart.

I'm open to hearing what works for ALL of you, but am eager to hear from mama's to a toddler & a baby. When do you do laundry? Make dinner? Clean? Have play time or educational time, esp. with a younger child needing so much care? Feel free to give exact time periods etc.

blairmarie333 07-16-2011 07:37 PM

Re: Share your routine, please!

I have an 18m DD and a 1m DD. I have had a set schedule that we stick to. Even after DD2 was born, I did my very best to keep us on schedule.
DD1 is a great sleeper so this is what our day looks like:

8am - everyone up, milk for DD1 and boobs or DD2
9:30am - breakfast for DD1 while DD2 naps
10-12:30 - play time, laundry, light cleaning, feed DD2 again
1pm - Lunch for DD1
1:30 - Nap time DD1, DD2 ususally wakes up the whole time, I left DD1 sleep for as long as she wants and I have some free time to sew and do other household things
4ish - 6 - more playtime/reading whatever else
6pm - I start dinner
6:30 - We eat
7 - clean up and baths for both
7:30 - DD1 gets her night milk
8 - DD1 goes to bed
11ish - me and DH go to bed

This pretty much is the same EVERYDAY. DD2 of course gets fed in there more, but its random times. I will have to say that sometimes one of them is needing my attention and doesn't get it. DD2 will sometimes have to cry for a few minutes when I know she isn't hungry/needs changed. I did not do this with DD1 when she was small, but I almost feel like she is a little spoiled now because of it. You only have 2 hands mama. Just do the best you can!

I don't think I could NOT have a schedule.
Good luck and hopefully everything will settle down for you. ;)

alexsmom 07-16-2011 08:46 PM

I am addicted to my schedule!! I hate when we vary from it.
6:30-7:00 wake up, get dressed
7:30 breakfast, daycare kids arrive
8:00-9:00 free play
9:00-10:00 nap for DD, project time for DS
10:00-11:15 outside play
11:30 Lunch
12:15 naptime story
12:30-2:30/3:00 nap/quiet rest for all
3:15 snack
3:30-5:30 free play/outdoor play/daycare pickup
5:30 dinner prep/DH home
6:15 dinner
6:45 bath
7:30 bedtime!!
7:30-9:30 after dinner clean up, mom and dad time

I wash laundry during the day, we fold and put away together while the kids are in the tub. We clean up the toys before we go outside and to sleep. I clean the entire house on the weekend, usually at nap and tidy up after meals and snack.
DH vacuums once a week and cleans the upstairs bathrooms during the school year, I do the rest.

Macyllehub 07-16-2011 09:01 PM

Eh, ours is flexible - but there are some definitive things.

8:30 am - 9:30 am wake up routine - get out of bed, pick out clothes and get dressed, make your bed (my 5 and 3 yr old can do these unassisted, I do my own and our 1 yo), eat breakfast and brush hair and teeth.
9:45 - get in the car to go .... this is the variable, for 2 weeks its swim lessons, for the 5 weeks after that it will be swimming at our local kid pool, during the school year this is where field trips are done, snack on the go
12:30/1pm - home for lunch then 1 yo to nap, 3 & 5 yo have calm quiet time, reading, coloring, working on a special holiday project with me, etc. This is MY sanity time. I read, knit or journal and meditate. Its a must-do.
3 pm - 1 yo is up and snack time ensues again. In the summer this is our park and general fun time. We explore on long bike rides, go to the frog pond, hang out in the back yard with sprinklers, sit and do nothing but paint our toes... etc. In the winter, this is school time for us.
6 pm - Dinner. I usually start prep no more than 20-30 min before or crock pot as much as I can. We eat as a family, no matter what.
7 pm - walk the dogs or a bike ride as a family in the spring, summer, fall. In the winter this becomes different things depending on what we do.
8 pm - Book time! At 8:30 1 yo brushes teeth with dad and goes to bed (or me if dads reading), at 8:45 girls brush teeth, from that point on, they silently read to themselves in the living room until 9 pm they tuck into bed too.
9 pm - 10 pm yoga time for me :)

Again, this is a general outline, but its pretty consistent. It does move around depending on if I'm at a birth, what meetings are done during the day, etc. We own a business and I fit in payroll, taxes, billing, etc. Laundry, dishes, all that jazz is always done with the kids. They help every step of the way and constantly so its not a big fuss.

marykatmp 07-17-2011 12:52 PM

This is a rough look at our schedule right now (during the summer

7 am: Everyone up (typically they are up by 6:30 on their own)
7:30: Get dressed
7:45: Breakfast
8:00: Independent play (my coffee and news time)
8:20: Read a book or play with one child or all
9:45: snack time
10:00 play (I make sure I have dinner pulled and a load of laundry going by this point)
11:30 lunch
12:00: Educational play, older two do workbooks or art
1:30: 1 year old goes down for nap, the other two play or work on an activity, or sometimes a movie, I do my Motivated Moms schedule.
3:00: The 1 year old is usually up, snack time and then we will go outside or do something like a walk if it is not too hot, sometimes we will run to the store if that is on the days to-do list
4:30: start dinner and then eat
6:30 bath time, bedtime stories
7:30: 1 and 3 year old in bed
8:00: 5 year old to bed and mommy watches dvr'd stuff takes a bath or folds laundry

I always have laundry going and I love my Motivated Moms schedule because it means nothing ever gets too dirty. DH is a trainer for a large corporation and his schedules changes on a monthly or weekly basis sometimes (depending on who he is training) so I try to focus on keeping a consistent schedule for us and then he just falls in whenever he is around.