Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bathroom Issues (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245700)

*KaiMom* 07-17-2011 01:51 PM

Bathroom Issues

I am so fed up with ds2 (he's 4.5) bathroom issues. He has pooped in his pants for the last 4 days. This has been an ongoing thing that creeps up now and then but never this long. He is horrible about peeing also. He still is in pull-ups at night and we struggle all day asking him, telling him, running to the bathroom etc. I took him to the doctor about 6 months ago but the pooping issues weren't there then. They had me collect some pee in a cup and they tested it for infection, everything was normal.

I can't decided whether to start punishing him for this stuff (which I really don't want to do) or setting up some sort of reward system. Any suggestions?

mapleleaf88 07-17-2011 03:00 PM

Re: Bathroom Issues

Personally, I would start with a token society. Maybe set up a chart, or use jelly beans each time he successfully uses the potty?
I agree that you shouldn't punish him quite yet... although, with my DSS we did have to get there. He was purposely peeing on things when he was upset about something. I turned off his cartoon and told him to come and eat supper and he peed on his Dad's brand new PS3... oh man! That was the last straw!

Do you think that he's honestly having accidents, just isn't trying, or is it honestly an accident? I would first start out encouraging positive behaviour before I look towards punishing the negative.
With DSS he got a penny in his jar every time he went in the potty, but if he had an accident I took one away (but he was 2, so penny's were a HUGE deal to him back then... now at five his attitude would be "big deal, I can't even buy anything with a penny anyways")
He also did badly with a potty and we had MUCH more success with one of the potty seats that go on the big toilet.
Good luck!

MommaKatie 07-17-2011 03:04 PM

Please take this for exactly what it's worth. I know some would say this is a cruel way to handle it, but it puts the child in charge of their actions and gives a consequence. When I was teaching preschool, I had a child experiencing similar "problems". Knowing there were no physical issues and with the permission of this child's mother, when said child would choose not to use the bathroom, the child was in charge of "accident cleanup" (taking off the wet/dirty clothes, cleaning themselves up, redressing and bagging the dirty items). The only thing I would help with was re-tying shoes. This mother implemented the same tactic at home. There was no anger or reward, it was very matter-of-fact and to the point (i.e. "I see you've had an accident. Let's go get cleaned up."). It took several times at home and school over the course of about a week for this child to realize choosing to wet/soil themselves would no longer be a choice.

If I can be of any help or support please feel free to p.m. me.

jamieism 07-17-2011 03:13 PM

We have some similar issues and our doctor suggested that constipation might be a factor even though dd poops at every day usually. She had us try benefiber - an OTC chewable fiber and it has really helped cut down on the poop accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

*KaiMom* 07-17-2011 10:31 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. We have tried having him clean it up but what a horrible mess :puke:. I'll work on a system for him to follow when it happens. I am also going to look into some sort of fiber supplement. Tomorrow I'm going strait for the candy bribe; I hate to do it but this is just out of control.