Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   grocery shopping in Hawaii.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245815)

corinne76 07-17-2011 05:32 PM

grocery shopping in Hawaii....

Where?
What is your fave store for saving money?
and I mean regular grocery, drug or supercenter stores. not the NEX or commissary cause I can't shop there so please dont make me jealous :mrgreen:

I usually hit up walmart and times. I peruse the walgreens, kmart and target ads but there's usually not enough to make it worth it to make a trip to an extra store.

So just wondering where you all shop. and if I"m going about this all wrong

cat13 07-18-2011 04:36 PM

Re: grocery shopping in Hawaii....

I live on the Big Island and we don't have much choice around here. I usually do all my food shopping at KTA, and supplement with going to CostULess or Costco (when I want to make the drive) once per month or so. I spend so much more money than I used to when I lived on the mainland (oh, how I miss Fred Meyer!), but I can't really figure out how to cut down on costs and still eat the food that I think is right for my family.

I also buy most of my non-food stuff online... Amazon is my new fav because "free shipping" actually means free!

luvmybaby333 07-18-2011 04:52 PM

I grew up on the Big Island. We always shopped at Sure Save, just because it was closest... But they had just put Walmart in right before we moved, so I'm guessing that might have changed the grocery shopping dynamic. (Though it didn't have groceries when I left a bazillion years ago.) Honestly, I just remember everything being so darn expensive. It hardly seemed to matter WHERE you shopped. You were going to get ripped one way or another. :giggle:

stevensmom 07-18-2011 04:56 PM

when we went to Hawaii we shopped at Costco

ittybittycoconuts 07-19-2011 04:56 AM

my cousin took me to the commisary a few times and we agreed costco had better prices on staple food.

I shop costco mostly, Times and safeway but only the sale items if its something we'll use. If its not on sale then theres a good chance we can work without it. Walmarts on the rotation now too even though its on my least favorite list. I wouldnt say I stockpile but I shop with a 6 week sale rotation in mind. Right now I have alot of pasta but not much sauce. Ive got one red ad one white but Im going to wait for the sale. Times has ground beef for $2.69 this week so Im geting 10# tomorrow after the new sale ads get here so I can make sure theres no better deals wednesday. I also snag some of the Safeway Friday only deals.

Im still on track to be under $400 for this month, yay!!!!!!! This puts me right back where I was in San Diego if I can keep it up. We have changed our eating habits a little. rice and stirfrys more often, less dairy and bread. I guess the question is what are you buying or what does a normal week consist of?

reymurph 05-10-2012 07:57 AM

I've found that for groceries Food Land has been cheaper than the commissary on everything except chicken. We use the maikai card and I love it. Once you use it so many times they give you rewards where you can get something free or get a percentage off of your groceries.

kehau68 05-10-2012 11:49 PM

Idk what's the best BUT I do know w the Safeway card when u log online, thy show u the sale prices of the other stores on items and will honor that.

eahcapemay 05-17-2012 03:31 PM

I do safeway with coupons, costco and farmers market. We have been talking about switching to walmart because their prices are so cheap.

skankinladybug 12-02-2012 01:42 AM

Costco! Our closest Costco is over a hundred miles away so we have Cost U Less, not as great as Costco but decent deals. Farmers Market for produce and Sack N Save/Foodland for everything else. This is on east side Big Island.