Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Uneven Breasts (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1245991)

besthealthyself 07-17-2011 11:35 PM

Uneven Breasts

I've been nursing now for 4 months and at about 2 months I noticed my left breast was beginning to get larger a bit and now at 4 months, its very obvious. Even with clothes on. It looks really odd.

Its the quickest of the two breasts to fill up, get engorged, etc. So I'm guessing it has stretched itself out or something.

Are there any tricks to help even them out? Maybe start nursing more on my right breast? I know they won't be a perfect match, but I want to fix this a bit if I can before it gets any worse :/

2+2macht4 07-17-2011 11:38 PM

Re: Uneven Breasts

Well in general the breasts are always different, I imagine breastfeeding just made it more prevalent.

I do not think there is anything that can be done. I know my mom has breast that are about a cup size difference, I am not sure if that was from breastfeeding or her whole life.

But you can get special bras that help even it out under clothing.

lovebabies 07-18-2011 12:11 AM

I had a similar problem, not quite to the extreme you're mentioning, but similar. It did seem to help me to start nursing on the smaller side more often, to try to even out the milk supply. HTH! :)

wmurillo410 07-18-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebabies
. It did seem to help me to start nursing on the smaller side more often, to try to even out the milk supply. HTH! :)

Mine were obvious too. Now its not a match by any means but it doesn't slope under shirts. Lol

Sent from my HTC HD...my phone is to thank for typos. :)

MinkaK 07-18-2011 10:17 AM

Mine are uneven though not too bad. Each child has preferred a different side, so I don't think one is a bigger producer. If you co-sleep and nurse try changing sides, I would favor one side way to much in the night and would really notice an uneveness.

Chessie 07-18-2011 07:32 PM

Me too, both of mine preferred the same one, I think it had to do with the flow. I had to use a shield on the other to convince them to nurse that side. It got better as they got older and a better latch but it never did totally even out.

besthealthyself 07-20-2011 05:22 PM

Thanks for all your input mamas : )

I've been trying to bump the supply on the small side. I'll give it a few weeks and see if there is any change. I'll let you know if I have any luck! lol!

Mamma527 07-20-2011 06:01 PM

I always offer the smaller one first. It seems to help some.

thtr4me 07-21-2011 12:37 PM

I had this with my DS1, and always offered the smaller/lesser producing breast first. It helped at least keep them looking more even, although I don't think the supply in that breast ever improved.

This time around, my left still produces more than my right in the mornings, but things even out as the day progresses.