Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Crying while BFing:( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246213)

SabraLeane 07-18-2011 12:18 PM

Crying while BFing:(

My DD is 5 weeks old. Sometimes everything is fine. But others she crys while nursing:( She latches on and off and is really fussy. I try burping her. Sometimes we get a burp sometimes not. She spits up a lot and has horrible acne:( Not sure if any of this goes hand and hand. Could she have issues with things I am eating? My pedi said no, to just watch my caffine intake. I know my milk comes out fast. She does choke sometimes. It is getting so frustrating. I feel bad for her and want to know if there is something I can do to make it better.

Any advice:blush:

moonsandmarshmellows 07-18-2011 12:22 PM

Re: Crying while BFing:(

She could have a sensitivity to dairy if you are consuming any.

cdwelton 07-18-2011 12:23 PM

Are you engorged? My DD did that when I was engorged (the latching on and off). It's also common for babies to be sensitive to dairy. I can only eat little amounts or DD will spit up a tonnnn!

HTH and keep at it! You'll figure it out.

808mamaof3 07-18-2011 12:26 PM

My milk always came for fast when my babies were little. I would have to lay on my side to nurse and unlatch them when I would letdown, or recline a bit on my back and have them nurse occasionally like that. For us, after baby was at least 3 months, they could handle the letdown. When my LOs would gasp and choke, they would swallow a lot of air and get gassy too.

Maybe check with a lactation consultation or your local LLL as well. :hugs:

FindingMercy 07-18-2011 12:30 PM

Both my DD's did the exact same thing until I cut out dairy. :(

SabraLeane 07-18-2011 12:32 PM

Thanks! I have a feeling it's a combo of all the above:( I know for sure my milk lets down fast. She chokes and gets gassy from all the air:( I do like milk. And I am thinking I need to cut back. I am looking for the number for the lactation department at the hospital. I really liked the ladies there. I nursed my son for 15 months and never had a issue. I guess I wasnt expecting any different this time around.

SabraLeane 07-18-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy (Post 13379405)
Both my DD's did the exact same thing until I cut out dairy. :(

Bummer!!! I was hoping for another answer...lol But her fussing is not worth it!

ChocoMeijin 07-18-2011 12:51 PM

Sounds like overactive letdown to me. I had the same problem my DS would cry so hard 'cause he was so frustratred! I was also drinking milk at the time (i also drank tons of it during pregnancy) but that was never the issue with me/him i still drink lots of milk no prob.
Try expressing some milk before nursing or pumping a bit, i found that helped.
And i don't think the acne is related, DS also had that and it started going away... I think it was about 6 weeks. I haven't changed my diet at all and he's happy as a clam so try the expressing first before cutting out dairy, i know i couldn't live without milk and cheeeeese~ :D good luck!

Leaner 07-18-2011 05:39 PM

My dd did that, too. She's 4 months and occasionally she still does. BUT its when she is overtired and fussy to begin with. I did NOT cut out dairy.

Mara'sMommy 07-18-2011 08:55 PM

Did you check for tongue/lip ties as well? My dd does this too. She's 4mo and always has. I also cut back dairy which helped alot with the gas, but she gets fussy/frustrated because she can't get a proper latch due to an upper lip tie. I'm taking her to get it clipped on friday (hopefully. We'll see what the ent says). Just thought I would share. If we would have found out about the lip tie sooner things would have been alot easier for everyone.