Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Are nipple soothers (gel pads, cream, shields etc.) necessary? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247296)

lagoon66 07-19-2011 08:45 PM

Are nipple soothers (gel pads, cream, shields etc.) necessary?

I will be a first time mom and trying to prepare for breastfeeding. Someone gave me soothing gel nipple pad things but then someone else told me I won't need those if I get the baby to latch properly. What is your experience? Did you use them? Do they help? Are they necessary? Or are they just a complete waste of money?

Chessie 07-19-2011 08:52 PM

Re: Are nipple soothers (gel pads, cream, shields etc.) necessary?

Breastfeeding is a learning process for both mom and baby and that learning process can cause rawness and pain till you get to the point where latching is regularly good. There's no way to know if you will have an easy experience or if it will be a learning process. For me, even the second time, the medela gel pads and shields were necessary in the beginning. Mostly this is due to an inverted nipple that is hard to latch onto. Usually the hospitals have these on hand if you need it. If you don't have help in the house or LLL nearby for the first weeks you might want to have one available for just in case.

ChocoMeijin 07-19-2011 09:10 PM

I didn't get any of that stuff, but I did have a friend give me a tube of lanolin. I only used it a bit in the beginning and that's it. I haven't had any bfing problems luckily, so if I had gotten any of that it would have been a waste. I would just get that stuff if you need if after the baby is born.

magooken 07-19-2011 09:58 PM

IME, i was sore even with a good latch. i mean, someone's sucking on something (a lot!) that has never been sucked on like that before...they're going to get chapped. i found that the gel pads didn't work. i thought that leaving them "out" to get air is what helped the most. lanolin wasn't a big help, either. i liked the gerber balm better. i know, it's not "all natural", but it worked! and a little bit of ibuprofen can help, too, in that first week.

i never tried nipple shields (they didn't really fit), but i know they have really helped some people. although, i've heard of babies refusing to nurse without one, so be careful.

there's a lot of trial an error at first. i don't know that you'd need any of these things right away. you won't get sore until the second or third day? but if you want to prevent a lot of visits to the baby store in the first week or so, it wouldn't hurt to have them around.

good luck!

twolittlebeans 07-19-2011 11:52 PM

If you get cracked nipples they are good for moist wound healing ;). I used them off and on while my nipple damage healed and was glad I had them on hand.

ChicanaCoqueta 07-20-2011 12:00 AM

necessary, NO
helpful if you have problems, yes

I was most sore during the first week or so. I only used a nipple cream and lanolin

oh wait, I also got nipple shields but only used them the first few days. I could have gone without them, no biggie
I wouldn't go out and buy the stuff but if you get it as a gift then why not use it? :)

Lanae 07-20-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twolittlebeans
If you get cracked nipples they are good for moist wound healing ;). I used them off and on while my nipple damage healed and was glad I had them on hand.

Me too

I'm blaming stupid words or sentences on my iPhone since it thinks it's smarter than me!

2+2macht4 07-20-2011 12:56 AM

Not just bad latch they are good for engorgement when your milk comes in.

I find I do not use mine as often now a days, but I did have times when they were great.

Now that said you can get buy without them for the most part you can make quark or cabbage leave compressed, but that can get messy with quark but it sure feels nice.

I would at least get a good nipple cream problems or not it is great to have on hand.

Keep in mind you may want an ice pack or 2 for when those teeth come. I have used mine recently again.

But no need to go nuts with them.

Personally I love the early years cool soothers with the jackets that slide over it. And the nuk ones that warm up. Aside from that some nipple cream. I never used the sheilds, but I wish I would have it would have helped my slat nipples had I started in pregnancy. Aside from that, milk savers are cool for building a milk supply.

2+2macht4 07-20-2011 01:00 AM

OK we should clear up the nipples shield thing.

There are 2 kinds. One you wear while nursing one you wear at other times.

Now the ones while nursing, these can be used for people with flat or inverted nipples. They are also marketed for sore nipples. I would not use these unless you have a medical need. As mentioned some babies will not nurse without them and they cause your milk supply to drop. I nearly lost my milk using them for flat nipples.

Example:http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Contact...1145287&sr=8-4

Type 2 is different you wear them in your bra, this can be to catch milk or form inverted or flat nipples Also marketed to protect sensitive nipples from chaffing on bras. These will not harm your baby or your milk supply.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Shell-I...1145309&sr=8-6

cherrycoke 07-20-2011 02:28 AM

I got the Nuk pads that you can warm up and they were a big help while I was engorged. We didn't really have problems learning to BF but the lanolin really did help! I didn't use any creams proactively (as in, before I needed them) and ended up with cracked/bleeding nipples for a day or two. I still use the lanolin every now and then, like during a growth spurt when he's on my nipples non-stop.