Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Softbums or Other AI2's? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247875)

bchrumby 07-20-2011 06:05 PM

Softbums or Other AI2's?

Hey all!
I have an 8 week old son and am new to cloth diapering. So far I have a couple of brands of pockets that I'm considering for nighttime, but really want some AI2's. I much prefer velcro or aplix to snap closure and need the diapers to be stay-dry, so I am going to try Softbums. The only problem is that what I have heard is that if LO pees, it soaks through the soaker and onto the lining of the diaper...am I supposed to just snap in a new soaker? That seems kind of gross; does anyone know if there is a way to keep the lining dry? Or is it really sanitary to do that? (Otherwise, does anyone have any AI2 recommendations that have velcro closure and stay dry liners? Besides Flip; they aren't my favorite...) Thanks!!!
:goodvibes:

kefm 07-20-2011 07:22 PM

Re: Softbums or Other AI2's?

We only use Softbums -- each time we change DD, we drop the insert into the wet bag, hang the cover to air out, and put on a new cover and insert. The next time we change her, we put a new pod in the cover that has been airing out, and then air out the cover we just took off. We swap them back and forth a few times, only throwing the cover in the wet bag if DD soils her diaper or if the cover gets really soaked or isn't airing out well. We use OBV pods, so it's rare that the cover is really wet -- I think it's more likely with the dry touch pods, so you might not be able to reuse the cover as frequently.

I know other mamas have not had the same amount of success we've had, but it's a great system for us! I <3 Softbums!

aliciamarie632 07-20-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kefm (Post 13397694)
We only use Softbums -- each time we change DD, we drop the insert into the wet bag, hang the cover to air out, and put on a new cover and insert. The next time we change her, we put a new pod in the cover that has been airing out, and then air out the cover we just took off. We swap them back and forth a few times, only throwing the cover in the wet bag if DD soils her diaper or if the cover gets really soaked or isn't airing out well. We use OBV pods, so it's rare that the cover is really wet -- I think it's more likely with the dry touch pods, so you might not be able to reuse the cover as frequently.

I know other mamas have not had the same amount of success we've had, but it's a great system for us! I <3 Softbums!

Yep we do the same thing. Rotate the covers and honestly our covers barely ever get damp. We like the obv pods but recently have switched to Chelory fold to fit snap ins. You can get them topped with any stay dry fabric and they fit perfect in the Softbums:)

nebraskamom 07-21-2011 08:04 AM

Yep, we rotate our covers. They air out and very well. After a few uses they might start to have a small stench, then that's when we put them in the hamper. Also, if your child is a heavy wetter you can add absorbancy. They have their mini pods, stay dry pods, and super stay dry. My DD is 2 years old so we use the super stay dry with a microfiber handtowel trifolded underneath (ultra trim in my opinion). We love our Softbums they work so well for us.

bakerbottoms 07-23-2011 10:35 AM

I use Softbums on my 2 weeks old & love them they are the only thing that fits her very odd shape. THe super dry pods are still too bulky on her so I use 2 of the mini pods, she is a heavy wetter. You could also look into Best Bottom AI2, I have these too & really like them also.

THE NOW FAMILY 08-31-2011 03:59 PM

Best Bottoms ALL the way! BEST newborn / little baby fit!

mommygonewild 08-31-2011 04:06 PM

Have you ever seen Hiney Lineys? They are really cool AI2's also! http://hineylineys.com/

FerventlyDreaming 08-31-2011 04:25 PM

I tried Flips which I liked a lot but they leaked at night. Grovia always leaked for me and I just didn't really like them. I do however love softbums! I use only SB and HH. Usually I use my HH with softbum inserts though.

cboytitan 08-31-2011 04:33 PM

I have 2 Softbums with 3 inserts each avail on FSOT.

mlhmrsdds 08-31-2011 04:39 PM

Soft Bums
Best Bottoms
bottombumpers (however they are really an AIO but they do have snap out liners and you can purchase extra liners)
itti bitti Tutto, these work well. And if you have a light wetter you can actually use each of the two large inserts it comes with seperate, so two diaper changes in each one you buy, plus you can get extra soaker sets.
Thirsties Duo don't snap in, but work the same way. Cover with stay-dry inserts. Plus their stay-dry have a jersey hemp side as well for extra protection.
That's all I can think of now, but I know there are more, plus all the WAHM diapers as well.