Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tips for biting while nursing?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247946)

Amwest84 07-20-2011 08:25 PM

Tips for biting while nursing??

Whenever DD is teething I starting having problems with her biting while nursing... Last time was about a month ago (she was around 9 months - getting tooth #7). Whenever she bit me I would say "No" and put her down on the floor. She was really clingy at that point, so just putting her down was enough to get her to stop. It gradually got better (went from biting EVERY nursing session to maybe once a day until the tooth came through, then she stopped all together). Now she is much more active, and when I try putting her down, she just crawls off to find something else to do. She thinks it is so funny when she bites me, and usually smiles or laughs when I say "No." Any suggestions?? Or do I just have to wait it out until the tooth finally pops through :/ I'm afraid she's not getting enough milk because I stop nursing when she bites... is that ok to do?? (I offer frequently, but the last couple days she has had VERY short nursing sessions - sometimes only 2-3 minutes.)

Chloe&Tilly'sMom 07-21-2011 01:29 PM

Re: Tips for biting while nursing??

My first daughter was born with a tooth, so her biting at first was just an accident. But both her and my other daughter, at about the same age as yours, would bite while nursing. But I noticed that the bite always came after she'd drank a good bit of the milk I had. So I assume the bite was some way of saying, "Hey, the milk supply's slowing down." Which means she's probably done with that side.

Besides, at 10 months old, my daughters were eating 3 solid (as solid as they could manage) meals at the table. At that age, nursing should switch to the backseat as they get better and better at eating table foods.

ChicanaCoqueta 07-23-2011 12:12 AM

I decided I wasn't going to stop bf'ing if he bit 'cause I thought that would encourage him and/or make him think that's how we say, "done mommy"
so I'd keep going. although sometimes I'd yelp an "ow" or pull him off for a second to recover, say no, then keep bf'ing

I'd try to do everything possible to make her feel better before nursing, ie
ice, rub her gums, chamomile (tea or tablets, 30C), a cold frozen washcloth to suck on, cold teether... whatever works

and yes, she's probably getting enough. just keep offering and take her cues if it looks like she's ready to nurse (of course if she doesn't pee or have bowel movements, that's when you should be concerned about supply issues - off her normal schedule that is)

honeydomehlon 07-25-2011 11:29 AM

When I knew my DD was in a biting phase I had my finger close by and stuck my finger in quickly for a release. they can really bite hard. I remember even asking her Dr. "has there ever been a case where a baby has bitten a nipple off of their mother?" very seriously -I was sure there must have been. Of course that never happened to me. But it felt like it could have. It only lasted a few days at a time and she would get through the phase. Sometimes I would have to hold her off for a few seconds until she got mad and then she would get the point. Good Luck and you are doing great for nursing her for sure!

ahenson 07-25-2011 05:14 PM

I took the advice on Kelly Mom and it worked. Only had to do it once.

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**

Connor 07-25-2011 09:03 PM

Try holding her in a way so if you feel a bite coming you can push her quickly and firmly into your breast. She will have to immediately open her mouth to breathe, she prob won't like the feeling. Explain to her that it hurts when she bites mommy and that if she bites she won't get to nurse and end that nursing session. If she gets upset you can offer cuddles instead :)