Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Instant diaper rash? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1248370)

Lousli 07-21-2011 01:39 PM

Instant diaper rash?

I loaned 2 dozen prefolds to a friend, who has a baby about a year older than mine (mine is 5 months.) She gave them back to me yesterday and they looked and smelled fine, and I was excited to use them, so I put them on my dd right away. I used them for the next few diaper changes, and by evening, she had a diaper rash all across her thighs, butt, and girly parts. It was fairly evenly red, not splotchy or bumpy ( a few small red pimple-like bumps here and there.) I took the diapers off and gave her a bath and used a generous amount of diaper cream, and this morning she was fine.

What could cause a rash like that and so quickly?

I washed the diapers in hot water with Tide F&G and bleach, and even let them soak a bit. Then I rinsed like crazy and did another hot wash with nothing added. I'm still a little nervous to put them on her after yesterday, do you think they're safe?

sisu 07-21-2011 01:45 PM

Re: Instant diaper rash?

If your DD is usually fine in prefolds, then I would assume the rash was a reaction to whatever laundry soap your friend used on them. I would think that since you have now washed them in your usual detergent, they'll be fine.

Mom22Boys2005 07-21-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 (Post 13403151)
If your DD is usually fine in prefolds, then I would assume the rash was a reaction to whatever laundry soap your friend used on them. I would think that since you have now washed them in your usual detergent, they'll be fine.

:thumbsup: My thoughts exactly.

Lousli 07-21-2011 04:36 PM

So you don't think it would be yeast or ammonia or anything, just detergent?

Micheliala 07-21-2011 06:39 PM

sounds like detergent to me too... it sometimes can take several washes to thouroughly wash out though.

Almacham 07-21-2011 06:42 PM

Yeast doesn't easily and completely disappear like that just with a little rash cream.

I don't think it's ammonia because ammonia burn is horrible and you'd be able to detect the smell of it.

Whenever I loan a diaper out or buy used, I strip the diaper before putting it on my babies because they are extremely sensitive to detergents and will break out instantly just like your DD.

gardenofstars 07-21-2011 07:05 PM

This just happened to me too and I stripped them and she was fine in a day. I also made sure to use my natural fiber insert stash just in case.