Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Milk bank donors... your experiences! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1248732)

hippieintraining 07-22-2011 12:49 AM

Milk bank donors... your experiences!

Since DD has been such a great sleeper, I'm pumping at night and in the morning (usually) and am averaging about 6-10oz extra to put in the freezer per day. We're still trying to get her to take a bottle of BM (no go!) and DS is getting some of it but I still have over 100oz in the freezer (which is the mininum donation). So I've decided to donate to our local milk bank :)

I know I'll have to go through an interview, some blood work and have my family doctor consulted. Has anyone gone through this? Can you share what you went through?

And a question: I've also found out that I can only donate until DD is 1 since the thought is that breastmilk produced for an older baby is likely not to meet the needs of the newborns (or preemies) who will be making use of it in the hospital. I understand that logic, but wouldn't breastmilk still be better than formula? I don't know anything about formula.

Thanks ladies!

NewCDerInCO 07-22-2011 08:54 AM

Re: Milk bank donors... your experiences!

Have you tried the Human Milk For Human Babies program? Ohhhh you're in Canada. I don't know if it exists there. I would look into it anyway. a local mama donates milk to my DS through that program.

doodle19 07-22-2011 03:43 PM

I almost went the milk bank route and heres what I learned. They wanted paper work and blood work which you knew. This hospital wanted 300oz every 2 months and when you reached that amount you called the nurse in charge of it got the cooler shipped out that night. You had to pack the milk in newspaper and send it out the same night via Fedex. So, while I had that much milk, I couldn't do it every 2 months I went to HM4HB and found many needy mama's. I've given to 3 families so far :)

L&A'smommy 07-22-2011 06:13 PM

I would try to find a local mama before donating to a milk bank. I was literally pouring milk down the drain nightly because my entire freezer was full and I had WAYYYYY more milk than my DD was drinking. The milk bank TOOK FOREVER to do the blood work and paperwork and to send me the cooler ( 3 months!) I cried each and every single time I had to pour milk down the drain. 100's of ounces. :( I really wish someone locally wanted my milk. Anyway, I finally got my over supply under control and I got the milk bank to send the cooler out twice and cleaned out 1/2 of my freezer. I still have a couple hundred ounces but I figure that I will just start using it for my girls to drink before it expires. ( I have a 3 and 1 year old ).

hippieintraining 07-22-2011 10:17 PM

Sounds like some not so great experiences.. I'd love to hear from more mamas!

Yes we have a HM4HB but I've been encouraged to donate to the milk bank. It's a pilot project in my town, and the local doulas/midwives/LLL leaders are really trying to get behind it. I can't imagine that I wouldn't be nursing at a year, so I can donate to HM4HB then.

I know I won't have to ship with a cooler. I know I just drop it off at our local health unit but I'm not sure how much time I'll have to wait. If it's more than a month, then I'll find another local mama (I already had one I was giving to, but she doesn't need it anymore).

Thanks sooo much!!!