Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   does my BFing toddler need a Vitamin D supplement? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1248842)

jessca06 07-22-2011 08:58 AM

does my BFing toddler need a Vitamin D supplement?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. My daughter is almost 16 months old and breastfeeding (along with normal table food of course). I recently read something about Vitamin D supplements but DD's pediatrician has never mentioned them (but I've never asked). We live in Texas where it is super hot right now so we aren't outside much. Should I be giving her a vitamin D supplement? If I should, is there one you would recommend?

IslaRose 07-22-2011 10:04 AM

Re: does my BFing toddler need a Vitamin D supplement?

I'm in Tx too! :)

Was your toddler out in the sun much before it got so hot? Like, an average of 10 minutes a day at least? If so, then her vit D levels are probably fine even though you get out less. Vit D is fat soluble and stays in the body a while. If you focus on letting her play by an open window for a little while each day, she should absorb what she needs to keep her levels right.

If you decide to supplement, use D3. It's the most natural form and is absorbed well. Cod liver oil actually has naturally occurring D. You can buy it at most health food stores. I supplement my children with it in the winter, and *knock on wood* they haven't gotten sick with anything substantial in five years. :)

somamama 07-22-2011 10:19 AM

Vitamin D doesn't come through windows because they're designed to block out UV light. She's probably getting enough right now just going to the car and back but you can also supplement yourself with 5000 units and she will get it through your breastmilk. Also remember when you're trying to get it from the sun that it takes 48 hours to fully absorb AND it washes off with soap.

jessca06 07-22-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslaRose (Post 13408703)
I'm in Tx too! :)

Was your toddler out in the sun much before it got so hot? Like, an average of 10 minutes a day at least? If so, then her vit D levels are probably fine even though you get out less. Vit D is fat soluble and stays in the body a while. If you focus on letting her play by an open window for a little while each day, she should absorb what she needs to keep her levels right.

If you decide to supplement, use D3. It's the most natural form and is absorbed well. Cod liver oil actually has naturally occurring D. You can buy it at most health food stores. I supplement my children with it in the winter, and *knock on wood* they haven't gotten sick with anything substantial in five years. :)

We were taking walks most days before it got really hot. I was just realizing that we hadn't been outside much lately and worried that she wasn't getting enough vitamin D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somamama (Post 13408796)
Vitamin D doesn't come through windows because they're designed to block out UV light. She's probably getting enough right now just going to the car and back but you can also supplement yourself with 5000 units and she will get it through your breastmilk. Also remember when you're trying to get it from the sun that it takes 48 hours to fully absorb AND it washes off with soap.

Thank you both for the information.

Laina83 07-22-2011 11:33 AM

Wow I didn't realize it washes off. Thanks for the info!

mommaagain 07-22-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somamama (Post 13408796)
Vitamin D doesn't come through windows because they're designed to block out UV light.

Also remember when you're trying to get it from the sun that it takes 48 hours to fully absorb AND it washes off with soap.

Vitamin D is made in your body after sunlight exposure. It does not travel in the sunlight and it does not wash off. UV rays are often blocked by newer windows.

Vitamin D is also known as the "sunshine vitamin" because the body manufactures the vitamin after being exposed to sunshine. Ten to 15 minutes of sunshine 3 times weekly is enough to produce the body's requirement of vitamin D.

You can also get Vitamin D from the foods you eat.

Straight out of current lactation texts: If a mothers Vitamin D levels are adequate, then neither she, nor the breastfeeding child need to be supplemented. Inadequate Vit D levels in a bfing child are uncommon.

Truckerswife 07-22-2011 11:49 AM

With my babies I gave them vitamin d drops in the winter when it was to cold to be outside but when its nice out I dont

Connor 07-22-2011 11:51 AM

LLL now recommends supplementing from birth through adulthood. I sometimes remember to put a few drops in our smoothies :)

Sent from my Droid Charge using DS Forum

somamama 07-22-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommaagain

Vitamin D is made in your body after sunlight exposure. It does not travel in the sunlight and it does not wash off.

I wasn't implying the sun beams vitamin D to your skin. There are many studies that show washing with soap after sun exposure washes off the oils that are responsible for vitamin D synthesis and absorption.

krispy79 07-24-2011 07:09 AM

Just wanted to add, that NO windows block 100% of the suns rays, and that having the windows open to allow sunlight to light a room is enough for the body. The skin does not need to be in direct sunlight, and it can be protected to produce vitamin d. It is a matter of light, not rays. Even artifical light creates d, just not as quickly or as much as the light from the almighty sun.