Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Talk to me about night weaning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124888)

Steve's Wife 04-04-2007 08:40 AM

Talk to me about night weaning

I need to limit my daughter's night wakings to 2-3 per night for my own sanity. Lately she's been getting up as many as 6-10 times per night. I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE! Please tell me what's worked for you. I don't want to daywean, too, but less than every 30 minutes would be great! :lostit:

Last night about 3AM I started to really lose it and told my daughter no more milkie. Milkie's sleeping, time for Julie to sleep. She fussed and cried on and off for an hour in between laying down and starting to fall alseep (we cosleep). It did work by about 4 AM and she actually slept for about 3 hours. But I don't think I can do that every time she wakes up at night. We nursed back to sleep once the morning came. HELP! WE NEED SLEEP!

By the way, my daughter is 15 months old, very bright, very communicative.

bluebonnet 04-04-2007 08:47 AM

Re: Talk to me about night weaning

I think what you did sounds right. You just need to be consistent with her and within anywhere from 2-3 nights to a full week, she'll "get it" and will probably stop waking up so much for it. When I night weened, it got worse for a day or two and then suddenly she just stopped waking up at all and slept strait thru.

I did not co-sleep and when I nursed her at night she would suck for about a min or two and then fall asleep, so I knew she wasn't hungry, she was just looking for mommy. Instead of nursing her, I'd just comfort her (verbally and physically) and I guess she found that it wasn't worth the effort of actually waking up if she wasn't going to get the boob! :goodvibes:

Good luck!

EmsMom 04-04-2007 08:54 AM

Oh I feel your pain :) DD used to do this too. Although I lost patience for it at around 9mos lol. I knew she wasn't hungry, it was just habit. One night at about 2am I was literally pleading with dd to go back to sleep and dh just said, put her in the crib and leave her for a minute. So I did and 20 min later of fussing, she was asleep and slept for 5hrs for the first time ever. After that I just stopped getting up, unless it was the legitimate cry. So my advice is to stop getting up with her, if she's really crying do what you did last night. She's old enough to understand what you're saying. Although if you're allowing her sometimes and not others that may be confusing for her.....might make it harder. You could also try offering cow's milk or water at night for her, she may just stay asleep lol.

EmnJJsMom 04-04-2007 08:58 AM

I know for a lot of women, the best thing for night weaning is to have DH take over, it goes the fastest and reallky puts it in their head that they will NOT get the breast.

My friend had her DH take her DD to another part of the house and comfort her while she wanted the breast, eventually she'd go back to sleep and he would bring her back to bed. After about a week, they finally got through it, and their DD was sleeping through the night.

I don't have a DH or anyone else to help me with it. I relied heavily on a nuk. I would give her the nuk and rock her and tell her that it wasnt num-num time, it was nuh-night time. She is now sleeping through the night (we just did this like 2 weeks ago) Unfortunately, that almost ended our breastfeeding relationship. She is now only nursing when she wakes up, and that is it. I encourage the breast but she just doesn't want it. Hopefully this is just a phase and nursing picks up again soon!