Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I have fail boobs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249233)

mizzy 07-22-2011 10:37 PM

I have fail boobs

I have semi hypoplastic breasts. I have no fat or milk ducts on the underside of my breasts so they are kinda cone shaped. I can make 80% of my childs needs at max production, but in order for him to gain any weight i have to suppliment with *evil* formula. I am taking fenugreek, and pumping and doing everything i know how to do to make enough so i dont have to give anymore formula (i currently give him 4oz a day). He is 2 months old.

This same thing happened with my daughter 3 1/2 years ago, and i was never able to make enough. BUT I breast fed her until she was 3 :) I supplimented from age 4months until 9 months and she weaned herself from the bottle and wanted table food and breast only.

My question is, besides Fenugreek, what other herbs/foods etc.. help boost milk production. I do know about Reglan and domperidone already, but i am looking for herbs and such. I want to keep my max production up as long as possible so my supply can sorta grow as he grows instead of the formula amount going up as he grows.

ktmelody 07-22-2011 10:49 PM

I have severe hypoplastic tubular breast syndrome. With my son we tried everthing but only lasted 7 months with supplements. With my next DD we made it 9 months with supplements. With the next one we made it two years with no supplements at all. No herbs, meds or anything.
My youngest weaned at 19 months with no supplements but I lost my supply due to pregnancy and being touched out.

The best thing is to keep baby at breast as long and as frequent as possible. Is there a reason you pump? I cant pump at all. Nothing comes out. The more you nurse the more tissue you can build up. For me it took a few babies though. My last two babies gained weight like crazy too!

It can be done. There are milk teas you can buy, fenugreek, using an SNS and of course domperidone and reglan.

Hope that helps a little!

mizzy 07-22-2011 10:58 PM

Re: I have fail boobs

My son HATES using the SNS, he pulls at the tubes etc.. so i give him a bottle for his suppliment, while he is getting that I am pumping to replace that missed feeding. I dont get anything out as he had already drained me before i supplimented, but its more for the breast stimulation.

I am so glad it can be done.. i do notice i have to give A LOT less formula this time around than i did with my daughter. Thanks for your help!

blathnat 07-23-2011 01:31 AM

I'm in the same boat. I'm doing a combination of fenugreek, blessed thistle, and goats rue for herbs. The goats rue was suggested to me by an LC for women with insufficient glandular tissue. They do seem to have helped a bit but I still supplement. I also make barley water and drink a lot of non-alcoholic beer.

Have you looked into donor milk? I'm getting BM to supplement from a friend with an oversupply and occasionally I can find more through human milk for human babies on Facebook.

I supplement with a lact-aid. Perhaps he might like that better than the sns? From what I understand the mechanics of it are a little different. I also stick a stuffed animal in his hand while nursing so he will tug on that rather than the tube.

Motherfood and Making More Milk are two great resources for foods and herbs to try.

Good Luck!

smilewithme 07-23-2011 01:35 AM

I use oats, flax seed, and cashews. I despise them all, but they make a difference. How ever you can get them in. They make a granola with flax that I put cashews in.
I can not take the "herbs"...

triplet-momma 07-23-2011 09:41 AM

I"m in the same boat; taking boatloads of pills/tinctures and supplementing 6 oz per day. The more milk special blend and domperidone are what made the largest difference for me. I keep thinking we will eventually be able to wean from the supplement but I'm just not sure. Especially since we've struggled so much with his weight gain :( Has anybody been able to drop the supplements once they added in food?

mizzy 07-23-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplet-momma (Post 13414756)
I"m in the same boat; taking boatloads of pills/tinctures and supplementing 6 oz per day. The more milk special blend and domperidone are what made the largest difference for me. I keep thinking we will eventually be able to wean from the supplement but I'm just not sure. Especially since we've struggled so much with his weight gain :( Has anybody been able to drop the supplements once they added in food?

Once my daughter was about 9 months old she started refusing the bottle completely, so we just did breasts and food and she did great! She ended up nursing until she was 3. I am hoping to do the same with my son once he starts eating solids also.

KristieW 07-23-2011 11:24 AM

Oatmeal and brewers yeast. If you like oatmeal, get some and before cooking, mix it with flaxseed and the brewers yeast (and keep it refrigerated) and then just have a little of that for breakfast or a snack. There are also super tasty cookie recipes out there for the same type of thing... but I never lose weight while BFing anyway, so I don't need super tasty cookies. ;)

04liquidS 07-23-2011 07:17 PM

There is a supplement called More Milk Special Blend by Motherlove that has fenugreek, goat's rue and a few other herbs in it. The goat's rue is supposed to build tissue.

aumismommy 07-23-2011 09:26 PM

I make my own tea after I buy the organic bulk herbs from a place online (I use starwest botanicals) of raspberry leaf, nettle, alfalfa, dandelion. Also motherlove makes a couple great blends that I love - try the one that has goats rue in it too I think it's more milk special. Fenugreek of course, bowl of oatmeal every morning, also I make lactation cookies every few weeks which helps with calorie intake as well (oats, flax, pasture butter, brewers yeast along with the regular cookie ingredients). I also just found that taking chlorophyll either liquid or liquid caps makes a huuuge difference in my supple - I was able to cut back on the amount of fenugreek I take because it boosted it so much.
Good luck!