Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How do you respond? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249313)

abaigeal 07-23-2011 08:55 AM

How do you respond?

to a medical professional when they tell you there is no longer any nutritional reason to keep nursing past a year? That my milk is not providing any nutrients to Aurora anymore.

I ask because this is what the nutritionist at Children's hospital told me and wants me to give her soy and add soy formula to it or pump (not nurse) and add formula to it. We are supposed to be doing a food study with her and mail it back this week. But I haven't done any of the formula and need help arguing why.

She's 16 months old and has anemia due to an iron deficiency which is a result of her million food allergies (and allergies to some iron rich foods). So she is on an iron supplement which is wreaking havoc to her tummy as it is I really didn't want to add the iron rich formula to her diet too and make her never poop.

Any suggestions on what to say to the nutritionist? When she said it to me at the apt I asked her why the AAP recommends nursing till 2 and she kinda got a stumped look on her face and didn't know what to say. There are still benefits to nursing past a year nutritionally aren't there? On a side note my pediatrician and allergist want me to keep nursing her.

kanga1622 07-23-2011 09:24 AM

Honestly, I'd tell her to stuff it. If your ped and allergist want you to continue and the AAP recommends to nurse to age 2, the dietician gets ignored in her advice about nursing. Your milk has sustained your DD thus long and it certainly doesn't harm her to go longer. Nursing is about nutrition and comfort so if the nursing pair is happy, then all is fine.

eliz7 07-23-2011 09:49 AM

Nutritionists know very little about bf just like most dr.'s . Keep it up! You milk is the healthiest thing for her:)
Have you tried floradix iron and herbs? It is much more gentle than many iron supplements. With your dd's allergies I'm not sure if it would be ok but you might want to check it out if you haven't.

VeganCupcake 07-23-2011 12:48 PM

Re: How do you respond?

I would either ignore it and continue nursing, or perhaps bring in for discussion the information in the sticky about extended breastfeeding and all the good stuff that's in milk at 12-23 months.

aumismommy 07-23-2011 09:30 PM

Agreed with the pp comments. I can't think of the herbs off the top of my head but I know you can make a weak tea and give it to them to drink and it has a tummy friendly iron source. Maybe google it or ask an lc.

VeganCupcake 07-23-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aumismommy (Post 13418471)
Agreed with the pp comments. I can't think of the herbs off the top of my head but I know you can make a weak tea and give it to them to drink and it has a tummy friendly iron source. Maybe google it or ask an lc.

Yellow dock is an herbal iron supplement. My midwife mentioned it as an option for me when pregnant--I don't know how it would work for a young toddler. Another option is blackstrap molasses, say, mixed in some warm rice milk or something. I couldn't stomach it, but some people like it.

poppan 07-23-2011 10:48 PM

Were you referred to the nutritionist by the pediatrician? I'd almost want to file a complaint (and I was thinking if you were referred by the pedi then the pedi could help). Who knows how many other moms she is giving bad information to.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

hippieintraining 07-23-2011 11:37 PM

It's not quite the same thing, but my DS had to be taken off dairy, so he's getting breastmilk again. Even when he was 'allowed' dairy, we'd give him BM when he was sick, or if his sister rejected the bottle (which she has done every time so far!).

I'd roll my eyes and walk away, personally. Nothing magical happens to baby or your milk at one year that makes it bad. Dairy causes lots of problems for lots of people and breastmilk doesn't (at least, I've never heard of a case... but I'd assume there's an exception to every rule).

palsmama 07-23-2011 11:51 PM

Come on... Dont you know that BM turns into koolaid at one year!!! Lol:roflmbo: seriously! That nutritionalist doesn't know diddly squat about nutrition!! BM is the best nutrition for your dd especially with all her allergies. Will she eat veggies? Beans? I would not do the soy! Soy is so over used and has it's own issues it can cause. Just keep nursing your DD and print out a ton of info from Kellymom, WHO and LLL. Give it to the nutritionalist in a binder and leave it at that.

ahenson 07-24-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palsmama
Come on... Dont you know that BM turns into koolaid at one year!!! Lol:roflmbo: seriously! That nutritionalist doesn't know diddly squat about nutrition!! BM is the best nutrition for your dd especially with all her allergies. Will she eat veggies? Beans? I would not do the soy! Soy is so over used and has it's own issues it can cause. Just keep nursing your DD and print out a ton of info from Kellymom, WHO and LLL. Give it to the nutritionalist in a binder and leave it at that.

This! Does she like hot cereal? I think there is a bunch with extra iron, but I don't know if that is even doable with her allergies. Maybe grits has more iron? Can't recall.

Love the name by the way. I remember being captivated by the name the first time I watched Sleeping Beauty!

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**