Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nursing the older baby? part time? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249680)

MariaLA 07-23-2011 09:12 PM

Nursing the older baby? part time?

My son is almost 8 months, and I've started backing down the pumping during the workday. Everyone assures me that my son can still nurse nights and weekends for as long as we want, but I wonder.

I only got to nurse my daughter to around 5 months, so I don't know how this older baby nursing thing goes.

Is it normal that my boobs don't get full and heavy in between nursings? Is there still milk even if my boobs don't seem to be doing that filling and emptying cycle?

How did your boobs feel when nursing an older baby?

Thank you!

NewCDerInCO 07-23-2011 10:03 PM

Re: Nursing the older baby? part time?

DS is 6.5 months, and I only feel full/heavy if he "misses" a feeding (sleeps longer at night/takes a longer nap/doesn't get hungry right at 3 hours like usual).

Nightowl Jan 07-23-2011 10:28 PM

Yes that is normal....and as more time passes you might notice that your breasts just feel soft all the time and after a while that let-down isn't even noticeable....but those two things happened to me more around age 12 months and on... Everyone is different but that's how it has been going for me.

eliz7 07-24-2011 06:47 AM

At 8 months if you are not giving formula i think you will need to pump at work or your supply will not keep up. Until a year BM is the main source if nutrition so I'm not sure how you can give up day pumping so soon? Maybe some wohm can chime in because I don't have personal experience. But I'm not sure who these people are who are telling you to stop pumping? Did they nurse past or until a year or are they just guessing it is fine?
Good luck!

Oh and totally normal to not have full breasts as long as you have wet diapers:)

MariaLA 07-24-2011 10:39 AM

No, we are adding in formula! He takes 3 bottles a day to daycare. Originally they were all breastmilk, currently they are whatever I pump+formula to make up the difference, and eventually they will be all formula.

But even so, lots of wohm moms have told me that they have made the same switch around this time and their baby nursed happily (and got enough milk) nursing nights and weekends. I'm just not sure if my boobs are acting right.

eliz7 07-24-2011 11:31 AM

That makes more sense. Adding formula will lower your supply. Some babies will continue to nurse for food and/or comfort weekends and nights and some will not. I think it is dependent on the baby and how much milk you maintain. If you are very concerned with your supply I would still pump but if you are comfortable with FF then do what works for you and your baby. Good luck!

mommaagain 07-24-2011 11:54 AM

It is normal for you not to feel very full before feedings at this point. You will likely feel some fullness if you skip feedings or try to stretch out the time between pumping. That overfullness is what tells your body to stop producing as much milk. Many moms adapt to not pumping at work. At 8 months, your milk supply is well established. As long as you keep having 3-4 breastfeedings a day, you should be able to keep your supply up. Some babies will do a reverse breastfeeding cycle where they night nurse more and day nurse less in this situation. Breastmilk or formula is still a major source of nutrition for an 8 month old. Tinker with what you're doing and see what works best for you and your baby. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. Congratulations on making it this far!

MariaLA 07-24-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommaagain (Post 13420877)
At 8 months, your milk supply is well established. As long as you keep having 3-4 breastfeedings a day, you should be able to keep your supply up.

This is what I hope!