Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Almond/rice milk for 12 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251422)

JennS 07-26-2011 07:50 PM

Almond/rice milk for 12 month old?

I work 8 hour shifts 7 in a row then have 7 off. My 11 month old stays with DH's parents until DH gets off, then stays with my DH. As of now he is still taking 3 4oz bottles of pumped BM while I'm gone. I pump twice while I'm at work, & I plan to continue to do so for a bit longer, maybe around 15-18months I'll drop down to pumping 1x. I BF'd DS1 until he was 2 1/2 & plan to do so for DS2.
Anyway he is going through more BM that I can pump. I'm wondering if he can have rice or almond milk in a bottle maybe once a day while I'm gone? When I give him something like yogurt it seems to tear his tummy up, so I want to wait awhile longer before I give him cow's milk.
I saw something somewhere about rice milk having arsenic in it; & obviously nut allergies are scary (almond milk.) We don't have any nut allergies in our family.
Thoughts? :goodvibes:

Chessie 07-26-2011 07:59 PM

Re: Almond/rice milk for 12 month old?

I was told that rice milk has pretty much no nutritional value. My Pedi said it was ok to give my baby soy milk but make sure it's not the skim one. I also make sure that it's organic. My baby has accepted it easily, I think its kind of sweet like bm. I usually warm it a bit.

Chagen 07-26-2011 08:05 PM

How about goats milk? It is the easiest to digest aside from breastmilk. I once read in an article that rice milk contains small amounts of arsenic... I immediately stopped giving it to DD.

JennS 07-26-2011 08:15 PM

I hadn't even thought about goat's milk; the kind that comes in a can?

Truckerswife 07-26-2011 08:15 PM

My babies have done well supplementing with goats milk my DD current gets two 6 oz bottles of goat milk a day

Truckerswife 07-26-2011 08:19 PM

You can get goat milk in cans of powder or condensed milk that you water down the powder is easy to store and just mix up a small amount at a time some grocery stores have goat milk in the refrigerator

Chagen 07-26-2011 08:19 PM

You can buy it as powder and in the dairy case. DD started out on the powder and when she refused it I bought it out of the dairy case. DS2 is currently getting the powder sprinkled in and on everything to add calories as he is off of the growth chart :(

VeganCupcake 07-26-2011 10:25 PM

I always recommend coconut milk or hemp milk for toddlers who can't have cow's milk. They're both fattier than rice or almond, and toddlers need that fat for brain development. Hemp milk also has a good amount of protein in it.

swedishmaiden 07-26-2011 10:27 PM

I was going to recommend coconut or hemp as well. We like coconut and the fat is very healthy for little ones' developing brains! Hemp has the protein too, like the pp mentioned, but we haven't tried it before.

doodlebugs 07-27-2011 07:44 AM

my dd is 12 months old also and dairy hurts her tummy also..ive been giving her about 1 cup a day of the organic vanilla soy milk and she likes it and has done well with it..we tryed the can goat milk and she hated it and its nasty(i tasted it)also price wise its not very cheap if you are going to be using it every day..id try the soy milk