Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Another "she won't take a bottle" Thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251568)

kts1120 07-27-2011 06:50 AM

Another "she won't take a bottle" Thread

DD2 is 3 months old and is flat out refusing the bottle and I need some advice. I go back to work in less than 3 weeks. She has taken a bottle before (we supplemented during the first few weeks and then she was taking one in the evenings for a while) but in the last month or so she is refusing it. We've tried giving it to her before she gets hungry or after she has nursed for a few minutes. As soon as the bottle gets in her mouth she starts screaming. We've checked the nipples and there is milk coming out.

We are using Avent bottles and I've tried using my Medela bottles and nipples a few times. It doesn't seem to matter. She will take a pacifier (MAM) so I'm considering trying those bottles, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Our pediatrician seems to think that she will just adjust after a few days and eventually take the bottle. But that could be a long few days once I go back to work!

pix1114 07-27-2011 06:56 AM

Re: Another "she won't take a bottle" Thread

We used Tommee Tippee bottles and it made a huge difference. Sometimes he would only take a bottle if it had formula in it and not breastmilk. Apparenlty he knew that BM should only come from mama. Smart little poop. :giggle:

A&M'smommy 07-27-2011 07:18 AM

I just went through this. I gave dd a bottle when she was hungry. I wouldn't give it to her after she has already started nursing... That seems confusing to me. I can't even get dd to take a pacifier after she has been nursing... it seems to help if your not in the room. Anyways we tried avent and breastflow. Those both didn't work for us. She likes the playtex dropins original (that's the brown nipple) and she will drink from a nuk bottle (these were suggested to me by our LC she said lots of bf babies seem to like them.)

Chagen 07-27-2011 08:39 AM

Have you tried having someone else giving her a bottle? Also try messing with the temp of the bottle? DD refused the bottle too, we ended up having to give it to her from a sippy cup or just a cup, luckily I was able to be with her most of the time. I have had success with breastflow bottles with DS2. Good luck, I know its frustrating.

doodah 07-27-2011 04:30 PM

I guess she is going to daycare soon? If so, have you asked about doing some partial days ahead of time, just drop her off and see if they can get her to take the bottle? Lots of kids refuse for mom and even dad but will eat at daycare

Laina83 07-27-2011 08:15 PM

We're having this same problem at the moment and its got me worried. She just screams and screams for poor dh. Like pp I have heard that the brown bottle nipples are better for whatever reason. I'm picking some up tomorrow and will let you know how it goes!

kts1120 07-28-2011 07:12 AM

Actually my mom will be staying with her. She is here about once a week during the summer so that I can go out child-free and do errands. I always nurse before I leave her so I know she's not starving for the 2-3 hours I'm gone now, but I'm worried about 9+ hours in a few weeks. No way she can go that long! I'm going to pick up 1 each of a few different bottles today and see she'll take one of those.

CEVmommy 07-28-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kts1120 (Post 13440017)
Our pediatrician seems to think that she will just adjust after a few days and eventually take the bottle. But that could be a long few days once I go back to work!

Ha - tell that to my 1st daughter, who never took a bottle even when she was in daycare full-time! People loved to tell me that she'd eventually take it and she wouldn't starve, but really she never took it. She reverse cycled, and I went to nurse her on my lunch break. Once she started solids, she ate all solids at daycare.

http://lactationnarration.com/index....take-a-bottle/

DevonP 07-29-2011 12:00 AM

My baby did something similar - took a bottle for awhile and then stopped just before I was about to go back to work. He would refuse all day and then reverse cycle and nurse all night. We ended up using bottle alternatives... The Innobaby nursing smart system http://www.innobaby.com/Nursin-SMART_c_5.html (it is pricey, but I spent a fortune on different bottles too...Amazon has it for much cheaper than the prices on their site) has this silicone spoon feeding attachment that you can squeeze the milk into and then DS would kind of chew on it and get the milk. They also have a straw attachment that can be used as a supplmental feeder so you can just squeeze the milk into them! What ultimately worked for us was the straw. I read online that you can train babies as young as 3 mos. to use a straw. So I gave DS a straw cup with a small amount of water every day to just play with and practice. I used a Munchkin one and cut out the valve for the practice cup. After a few mos. he got the hang of it and now he drinks his milk right down at daycare from the straw. They teachers at daycare are amazed. He uses the Innobaby one. Might not work for everyone but he just really was not into any artificial nipples:giggle:

Also, it will be super stressful in the begining but you will figure out something that works and it will be okay :happyhug: It was a very rough time for me and I was so stressed out about it so I feel your pain!

mommajenn13 07-29-2011 08:12 AM

My DS would only take the latex (brown) nipple with the playtex drop ins. That was also the same bottle that my BFed DD would take exclusively!

My Ds reverse cycled when I went back to work. He didn't like the bottle (but would take it eventually) and so he would only eat about 3 oz while I was at work, and nurse all day and night. Even though he's on solids now (14 months) he still nurses all night!

My DS likes if whoever is feeding him holds him like he is nursing, and then holds the bottle really close to the nipple so that their hand is touching both of his cheeks. Kinda hard to explain. He likes the feeling of skin on his cheeks/chin. But some babies are the opposite. If they aren't nursing, they don't want to be held like they are nursing. Some like to face out, like with their back/head resting on your chest, and their feet out towards your knees. It's an awkward position, but it's not a position that they nurse in so they are more likely to take the bottle since they aren't really expecting to nurse in that position. Hope this helps!