Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help me get my supply back (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251693)

farmfresh 07-27-2011 10:14 AM

Help me get my supply back

the weekend before last (so 10 days ago), dh and i went to an outdoor concert out of town. we were away from ds for less than 24 hours. i pumped several times, and thought everything was fine, but it was 100 degrees out and we were out in it for about 6 hours. i think i got dehydrated, even though i didnt feel like it at the time, and tried to drink plenty of water. the day after we returned home though, my milk suddenly dried up (not completely, but almost). ive been trying to pump more often and have been taking fenugreek for about a week now. i'm trying to pump after every feeding, but dont always get that accomplished.

also, i wonder if ds has hit a growth spurt or something. he is now nursing, then taking about 4 oz of formula afterwards (he's 7 weeks old). if i dont nurse him at all and pump, i end up getting about 1 1/2 oz total. if i pump after nursing him, im getting about 1/2 to 3/4 an oz total.

any other suggestions on what i need to be doing to get my milk back up? i was so happy and proud of myself once i had finally gotten to where i didnt need to supplement (he's baby #3 and the only one that ive successfully breastfed). i just want that back i guess. i dont mind if i never can build a stash in the freezer, but i want to nurse so badly.....
tia.

VeganCupcake 07-27-2011 10:31 AM

Re: Help me get my supply back

Did you previously have any supply problems? Were you supplementing him before you went to the concert? I would see if you can get a pre- and post nursing weight to see how much he is getting.

Are you supplementing because you think he is hungry or because he was not gaining? Babies often seem to "gulp down" a bottle after nursing, even when they are full and don't really want it because of the way bottles work.

Can you just spend a couple of days snuggled up with him in bed, nursing whenever he wants to? That is one of the best ways to increase your supply.

carolineb 07-27-2011 10:34 AM

I would just nurse nurse nurse! I can only get more than 2oz pumping if I am really full in the morning. I would try to not use the bottle if possible. Do compressions while he nurses and offer even if he isn't acting hungry. He may not take it but he may. And drown yourself with the water. :)

MauceliMommy 07-27-2011 11:09 AM

I agree with these moms, nursing is the best way to increase production, not pumping. I would offer it a lot, like every time baby fusses, assume he wants boob. And try not to be away from him if you can help it. My DD is done nursing and I still have a little milk, my ND said this is because I am still with my daughter 24/7 and my mind body connection is telling my breasts that there is still a chance of nursing. My point is, maybe that goes both ways, even if it's just one outing away from baby, might not be conducive to breast-feeding.
One more thing: HOPS! make a tea of hops or drink a beer (with a meal), to increase production too.

Leiiki 07-27-2011 11:27 AM

Agree with PPs - stop giving bottles after nursing, most babies will drink a bottle after nursing because they can't refuse and their sucking reflex just kicks in.

Nurse often, of course, and try eating more galactologues like oatmeal, green papaya, and almonds. Look up lactation cookies online. You have to take boatloads of fenugreek to increase production - you smell like maple syrup if you're taking enough. Mothers Milk tea helps, and drinking tons of water. If you are having trouble pumping after nursing, try just hand-expressing for a few minutes (either into a towel or a cup if you want to save it). Hand express in the shower and on the toilet.

keen1981 07-27-2011 11:32 AM

Formula is a very slippery slope to a nursing babe. They will usually down whatever u give them until their tummy is gonna explode. They can not control intake from a bottle the way u can from breast. Essentially it force feeds them. The majority of any breast/bottle babies will take a bottle after breast. It's completely unnecessary (usually) and teaches baby that stomach gonna Burst feeling is the norm. Studies are linking overeating to bottles as alot of parents always offer milk when baby cries ( and baby takes it, surprise...)

If baby has umlimited access to Breast, nurses at least 8-12x a day and is gaining well, no formula is needed.

smilewithme 07-27-2011 11:37 AM

Just nurse away...It will come back. My daughter had a growth spurt about that time, and it did feel like she wasn't getting enough...but it calms down.

blathnat 07-27-2011 12:11 PM

If you need to supplement (I have to supplement because my supply is very low and my son wasn't gaining) considering using a nursing system like the lact-aid or the sns. I use the lact-aid. That way he gets the extra he needs but continues to stimulate you to produce more.

oatmeal, non-alcoholic beer, flax, barley... can all help. Take a look at Making More Milk and Motherfood. I make barley water and drink that during the day.

Good Luck!

Military Gals Jewelry 07-27-2011 01:13 PM

What pump do u have???

chirodoc78 07-27-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 13441985)
Agree with PPs - stop giving bottles after nursing, most babies will drink a bottle after nursing because they can't refuse and their sucking reflex just kicks in.

Nurse often, of course, and try eating more galactologues like oatmeal, green papaya, and almonds. Look up lactation cookies online. You have to take boatloads of fenugreek to increase production - you smell like maple syrup if you're taking enough. Mothers Milk tea helps, and drinking tons of water. If you are having trouble pumping after nursing, try just hand-expressing for a few minutes (either into a towel or a cup if you want to save it). Hand express in the shower and on the toilet.

:thumbsup: Yeah to that!